Options

Linux SuSE 9.2 help...

ifonlyunuifonlyunu Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am a linux Newbie, and I am having problems intalling SuSE 9.2. My envrionment:

Compaq Deskpro EN 128 Mb ram, 18G Hdrive, Celeron 566 Mhz processor, Chipset i80e, 3com 3c905c-TXM pci ethernet nic. Integrated sound and video.

The problem is that, I am doing a ftp install, and I get the point were the install is loading to RamDisk (60000 K) and after this finishes I get an error message saying that I am out of memory and would I like to set a swap file... this is were I am stuck b/c before I started this install I only used fdisk to create a single active Dos partition for the entire 18 gigs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have searched several sites, but no thread, that I have seen, has addressed this issue.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm - I hate ftp installs. They suck totally icon_wink.gif

I do however suggest that you check out the SuSe site for any tips.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    It's most likely because you've already created a fat32 partiation filling up the entire drive. You should actually go into fdisk and delete all partiations. Linux does not use fat32 or NTFS, it most likely will use either ext3 or reiserFS (I think reiser is default in SuSe). Also it uses a seperate "swap" partion for the swap drive, so it needs to be able to create its own partition, but it won't be able to do that if you've already partitioned the entire drive.