Options

Getting Network+ certified

GMinatorGMinator Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm having a hard time passing the Network+ certification exam. I'm 70 points from passing. The class made sense, the book makes sense, I understand what I'm reading but I can't pass the exam. Some test questions I thought were unfair. What can I do to pass the exam? Should I purchase test questions? What resources out there can help me get certified?

Comments

• Options
    jblavenjblaven Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What questions did you feel were unfair? ...could be these are topics that you need to brush up on... I am studying to take it for the first time as well and can understand where some of the harder material can bite you if you don't fully understand it.

I was moving right along through Mike Meyers book until I got to subnetting using binary numbers. Let's just say I've been on it for a couple of days. I went by the book store today (looking for a different angle on the explanation). One of Todd Lammle's Cisco study guides explained it a little better and it "clicked" for me.

It sounds like you have an idea about the parts you don't understand. Let the guys here point you in the right direction and I am sure you will do much better the next time around.

I would be more concerned if you didn't know what you didn't know. :D
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you need to re-read the book, as some of the fundamentals of networking are not sinking in or sticking. Exam questions can be poorly worded granted, but I don't buy in to people saying exam questions are unfair. If you know the material then you can usually recognise a poorly worded question and realise that it's a simple mistake. And they are not going to be in the numbers that would make you fail an entire exam.

You could get practice questions from someone like Self-Test, maybe just get 30 days online access after you have re-read the book. I would say that you don't want to crawl over the finish line, you should be looking to get a strong score for an exam based on networking fundamentals which will stand by you whatever direction your career takes after Network+.

Good luck with the re-test!
  • Options
    IRJesusIRJesus Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Purchasing test questions, regardless of being unethical, will hurt you in the long run. The answer is to study more, apply the knowledge gained to real life situations, and to approach the exam from the viewpoint of a professional working within a business and not as a random person setting up a SOHO. I just passed the exam 3 days ago and there were no unfair questions, only questions that required experience to understand. You need to icon_study.gif and apply.
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    GMinator wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time passing the Network+ certification exam. I'm 70 points from passing. The class made sense, the book makes sense, I understand what I'm reading but I can't pass the exam. Some test questions I thought were unfair. What can I do to pass the exam? Should I purchase test questions? What resources out there can help me get certified?

+The best thing to do is to look at your score report and look at the objectives you didnt do so well in and study more on those objectives.

When taking the test you should be able to look at the questions and determine what is the right answer and why possibly the other answers can not be , when you know the material well you should be able to do this instantly

Study more on the objectives your hurting in and you will come out with a pass
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    GMinator wrote: »

1. Which book are you reading?

2. What hands on work are you doing? My friend recently took the trilogy this spring (A+, Network+, Security+) and all of those books had lab tasks inside them to attempt, which helps you sink in the fundamentals.

3. Are you using the practice questions in the book? (Books usually have practice questions, these help to hammer home the concepts. You should strive to know the correct answer, as well as why the other choices are incorrect.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IRJesus wrote: »
    The answer is to study more

I agree with IRJesus. If the concepts are not making sense either reread the material or find new sources to study from. Try either CBT Nuggets videos or Professor Messer's videos (free) as an extra source.

You should get to the point where you can easily explain these concepts to someone else.

If your stuck, ask questions.

- Samurai
    Always studying for something!