2»

Comments

• Options
    Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Or should it be Network +, then SSCP?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skoal_Man wrote: »
    So my new plan is to "break into" the cyber security field. The only cert i currently hold is the Sec +. I think the next move should be Net+, and then I'm not to sure. I think I'd like to start with CEH. Any suggestions? I'm very interested in cyber security in general.

It's rare for someone to walk into an IT security job without any prior network/system administration experience. Consider studying for the CCNA, MCITP:EA, or even RHCSA/RHCE. The traditional path to IT security starts with a network administration role. I'm of the opinion that if you don't know how it all works, you can't secure it!
  • Options
    It's rare for someone to walk into an IT security job without any prior network/system administration experience. Consider studying for the CCNA, MCITP:EA, or even RHCSA/RHCE. The traditional path to IT security starts with a network administration role. I'm of the opinion that if you don't know how it all works, you can't secure it!

I'm currently a Network Admin and a Windows SBS 2003 Admin, and Salesforce Database admin.
  • Options
    I'm currently a Network Admin and a Windows SBS 2003 Admin, and Salesforce Database admin.

My apologies. I didn't realize that. Have you considered doing the CISSP? Often it's one of the traditional HR check boxes for IT security jobs.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    So my new plan is to "break into" the cyber security field. The only cert i currently hold is the Sec +. I think the next move should be Net+, and then I'm not to sure. I think I'd like to start with CEH. Any suggestions? I'm very interested in cyber security in general.

I'm pretty sure you don't "start" with the CEH.

That being said, maybe you can. I just looked over the certification outline and it appears you have to a script kiddie? Can someone clarify? Do you need to actually have programming knowledge or do you need to just know how to run programs created already, such as knowing how to use Backtrack?
  • Options
    I dont really know where to start. I've got a few years experience as a network administrator and sbs 03 administrator, and about 5 years as salesforce admin. I was trained for the salesforce admin position.

Regarding the network and sbs admin. Its all just been troubleshooting by intuition since i have no formal training. I work for a small company we hover between 10 and 20 users. Usually i spend my time diagnosing random errors and problems since i also manage all of the client computers. I just moved all of us from XP to Win 7 last month. Transition went smooth.

I'm looking to get into a big corporate setting. I'm worried that most of my experience won't directly transfer.

I should also say i have a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Animal) Science. Yep Animal Science.

My interests mainly lie in the Cyber Security Field. It intrigues me and I really want to learn more about it. A career in it seems like it would be enjoyable and a challenge.

Now that you know my life story, would you still suggest a CISSP?
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    I dont really know where to start. I've got a few years experience as a network administrator and sbs 03 administrator, and about 5 years as salesforce admin. I was trained for the salesforce admin position.

Regarding the network and sbs admin. Its all just been troubleshooting by intuition since i have no formal training. I work for a small company we hover between 10 and 20 users. Usually i spend my time diagnosing random errors and problems since i also manage all of the client computers. I just moved all of us from XP to Win 7 last month. Transition went smooth.

I'm looking to get into a big corporate setting. I'm worried that most of my experience won't directly transfer.

I should also say i have a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Animal) Science. Yep Animal Science.

My interests mainly lie in the Cyber Security Field. It intrigues me and I really want to learn more about it. A career in it seems like it would be enjoyable and a challenge.

Now that you know my life story, would you still suggest a CISSP?

How long have you been in this role? You can see the requirements for the CISSP here:

https://www.isc2.org/cissp/Default.aspx
  • Options
    Approximately 1.5 years full time.