Options

Changing Career into IT

samg86samg86 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. Apologies if this thread is misplaced, seemed like the most suitable board to place it on.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice - I'd like to move careers into IT, but without any IT related qualifications I have no idea how to get started (i have a v poor quality maths degree from a good uni).

I guess I'm likely to have to take a pay cut and take an entry level position, but do i need any qualifications for those? How much can i expect to earn for the first few years?

Really I suppose I'm looking for a starting point without having to move to London and an wondering what I should do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Comments

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Take a look at your local community colleges Information Systems courses and sign up for a few. I would also recommend getting the A+ certification and trying to bust down a door as a entry level Help Desk or desk side support. From there look into there specific departments Ex: server group, network guys and applications analyst see if any of that interest you, then go for a professional level certification in that area.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with VAHokie56, A+ is a great start. After that I would fish around for some internships and try to break into the industry that way.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    Stick with CompTIA A+/Network+ and at least one MS Operating Cert. Some people may disagree with me on this but it worked on my case :D

Now I've noticed your location is in UK. I'm from the US, so you may need to take a look around on the job sites around your area to see what their requirement are for entry level helpdesk/tech support and go from there.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I've been looking for an entry level position in the US for the past month, and I know I'll be looking for a while before I land a job. I currently have my A+ and will be taking my exam for my Network+ shortly.

In the US, the current requirements I've seen for entry level help desks are pretty hard to come by. They want 2-5 years experience, a BA, A+ / Network+ and an MCP certification. I guess with current economic state of the US, employers can afford to be demanding and picky. It's making life pretty hard for me to get out of the dead end job I'm in currently and moving into a career I want to be in. I don't mind waiting and working for it, but man it's disheartening to see these requirements for entry level positions.

I would go for A+ and Network+ at the least. If you know your way around a computer and have networking knowledge, you'll blow through it and will make yourself far more marketable. Getting an MS cert (MCP 70-680 for example) will be a bit tougher, even more so if you don't work in an IT environment.

The best way to land an entry level position from what I can gather is to network your way in. I've had family and friends get me connected with people inside networking firms, which allows me to send them my resume directly to bypass HR in most cases, delivering my resume directly to those that hire. It also gives you the opportunity to talk to the person handing your resume in, to show him you know your stuff and to show you're ambitious and dedicated to pursuing your career.

Best of luck to you! And if you're seriously passionate about making IT your career, stick with it and you'll get something!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a math degree I'd move to the US and get into teaching math. Our district can't seem to keep them and they are starting in the $52k range.

If you really want to start IT from scratch then A+/Net+ are your first stop to a help desk job.