Options

Exam 70 685

parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
Hey All,

I have tried to get through the 70 680 book and just can't its just to omuch stuff that I never use.

I am a PC Tech who uses Win 7 in the home and office. I was wondering, would it be better to take the 70 685 exam? What kind of things does it ask? Is it less to do with servers and virtualization and more to do with everyday tasks?

Any good books for the exam? I checked bn.com and only saw two options, the MS book and one by Gibson.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    From my experience it was a lot more general troubleshooting in Windows 7 and less about the specifics of deployment.

I'd suggest going for the 70-685 first and then the 70-680 won't be as bad. Remember though, you don't just want to be tested on things that you currently use but rather you want to learn new skills.

I've heard good things about the Gibson book but don't have any personal experience with it to offer you.
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice. What sorts of things does the 685 test that is different than A+ or Net+?
  • Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pop on over to Microsoft's website and have a look at the Objectives for the 70-685. The biggest difference between CompTIA exams and Microsoft is the latter being vendor specific where as CompTIA tends to be vender neutral.

I speak purely from observation. I have yet to sit for a Microsoft exam but I am scheduled for the 70-680 next month and plan to knock out the 685 and 686 shortly after.

Best of luck with your studies!
    Lab on!
  • Options
    Ya, I've been all over the objectives page and think I could do it, but I was hoping for someone who has sat the exam and used the Gibbons book.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I appreciate the advice. What sorts of things does the 685 test that is different than A+ or Net+?

It goes into specifics on how you troubleshoot in windows 7 exclusively. Like where you'd view IPv6 settings, viewing the event viewer remotely, using certificates in windows 7, ect. The objectives cover the content pretty well.