Options

Do you have fun being a ccna?

digzthisdigzthis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry if this is off topic...but I am thinking of a career change and while I know the field is probably not considered as "fun", I was just wondering if you enjoy your jobs? To me as an outsider it seems challenging which would constitute fun in my book! I've always had an interest in technology and computers and think this might be a route worth looking into. Just looking for some pros/cons that come with being in networking. Thanks everyone in advance!:D

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Well you got to do what you enjoy.

I enjoy my job. It can be a little frustrating at times (Odd issues, 2 a.m. phone calls, working other dept heads and vendors, and so forth) but I enjoy the complexity of it... It can be like a complex puzzle.

I think the pros cons will vary by person and job role.. for example Pro: My schedule is very flexible, Con: When my phone rings at 2 am I need to answer it. Pro: I work with a lot of technology Con: I have a lot responsibility.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    At a network engineer (and a CCNA) a very much enjoy my job. I end up working on many things...from leased lines, to installs, to resolving outages, and other duties like configuration and change management. Lots to do and TONS to learn.

Quick list of pros:
    1. Continuous learning.
    2. With knowledge comes respect and more responsibility
    3. Don't deal directly with customers
    4. Interesting!!
    5. Feels good to know the system you install actually works

Quick list of cons:
    1. Thankless job
    2. More responsibility = more work
    3. More knowledge = more work
    4. Upward mobility can be limited
    5. Headaches and downtime when something doesn't work
    6. SLAs = stress

Great field to get into, but keep it mind, routing and switching can be a totally different world compared to computers and admin.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
    Put my glasses on, I’m out the door - I’m gonna hit this city
    Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
    Cause when I leave for the night, I ain’t coming back

It feels about like that.....icon_twisted.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    This is great. Thank you guys for the answers. Exactly what I was looking for. I have kinda gone down this road because i think I will enjoy the building of networks and i guess more hands on duties than the computer route. Do you guys think its possible to learn this on your own? I've looked at some courses at local colleges and all seem to be around $2000. I personally would rather build a little home setup and get some books and avoid spending that money. With some dedication is it possible or do you think I would need an instructor? I am a noobie when it comes to this but like to consider myself a fast learner and tech savvy...
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    reloaded wrote: »
    At a network engineer (and a CCNA) a very much enjoy my job. I end up working on many things...from leased lines, to installs, to resolving outages, and other duties like configuration and change management. Lots to do and TONS to learn.

Quick list of pros:
    1. Continuous learning.
    4. Interesting!!

Quick list of cons:
    1. Thankless job
    6. SLAs = stress

Great field to get into, but keep it mind, routing and switching can be a totally different world compared to computers and admin.

with that point i think you have a nice job ..sometimes must answer customer REALLY stupid questions is so annoying
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    digzthis wrote: »
    This is great. Thank you guys for the answers. Exactly what I was looking for. I have kinda gone down this road because i think I will enjoy the building of networks and i guess more hands on duties than the computer route. Do you guys think its possible to learn this on your own? I've looked at some courses at local colleges and all seem to be around $2000. I personally would rather build a little home setup and get some books and avoid spending that money. With some dedication is it possible or do you think I would need an instructor? I am a noobie when it comes to this but like to consider myself a fast learner and tech savvy...

Doing it on your own:
    * You build your own lab by buying routers, switches, and cables off of ebay or wherever.
    * You buy your own book(s)
    * You're responsible for study time, no one will hold you accountable
    * If you get stuck on something we can help you sort through it on techexams

Doing it through your college:
    * You pay your $2000
    * Access to the schools cisco lab
    * Required class time and assignments
    * You can ask your instructor or classmates for help if you get stuck

If you do it through a college, you'll probably need 4 semesters of instruction. If you do self-study and are very committed (maybe a little obsessive) you can have your CCNA in 2 months.

Consider this: most people that begin the CCNA trek do not finish it, but finishing is entirely up to you and not some damned statistics.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Thanks ehnde...I think I'm gonna jump in and give this a whirl.. I'm sure this question has been beaten to a pulp but what do you recommend for text books.. I've gathered from the forums that lammies ccna book and odoms book are great resources. Will those and the homebuilt lab get me on my way? Do you recommend reading odoms book first and supplementing with lammies? Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated!
  • Options
    well nvm, found it in the faq icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Lammie's book is the best!

lammie.jpg
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you recommend reading odoms book first and supplementing with lammies? Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated!

Best to start with Lammles book. His books are geared more for beginners and are very easy to read and understand. After you have gone through Lammles book and have a good grasp of the basics, then move on to odoms books.

I started my studies with Lammles book and the cbt nuggets videos. They are awesome !! Definitely get them if you can. They are a 'must have' in my opinion. I would have been lost without them. Its almost like being in a class.

Lammles books will give you a good intro to the topics but don't really go into enough detail. Thats where the cisco press books come in. odoms books are excellent to fill in the gaps and teach you every thing you need to know. They are very well written too.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    reloaded wrote: »

Quick list of pros:
    1. Continuous learning.
    4. Interesting!!

Quick list of cons:
    1. Thankless job
    6. SLAs = stress

This is right on the money. I enjoy the hell out of my job cant imagine doing anything else icon_cheers.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Awesome...thanks everyone for the help! It really is much appreciated
  • Options
    Looks like for the cbt nuggets videos there are 2 instructors, do you guys reccomend a particular instructor?
  • Options
    whoops nvm, looks like only one for what i need
  • Options
    Netadmin320Netadmin320 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jeremy is a great instructor and fun to listen to. I am doing his videos now and they are great.
  • Options
    Hey guys, really appreciate the help...just cracked open lammies book last night. Looking into building this home lab and right now even after reading the faq section not entirely sure what I need. I found this deal on my local craigslist...would anyone be able to tell me if this seems ok for when i get to this step in the training?

CCNA Kit, 4 Routers, 3 switches, CBT's, and 2511RJ Terminal Server
  • Options
    kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    I love it. Moved from working for an ISP as a Field Network Tech.
    That job had bi-weekly on call, and hours sucked.
    Life as a NA is great. More thought based work, no on call and constantly learning.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • Options
    johnnyBoyjohnnyBoy Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I love being a CCNA, why:

*Good job
    *Good pay
    *Good benefits
    *Bonuses

Depending on who you work for, experiences may vary.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey guys, really appreciate the help...just cracked open lammies book last night. Looking into building this home lab and right now even after reading the faq section not entirely sure what I need. I found this deal on my local craigslist...would anyone be able to tell me if this seems ok for when i get to this step in the training?

CCNA Kit, 4 Routers, 3 switches, CBT's, and 2511RJ Terminal Server

Seems like most routers are 2500's or 2600's. Most people on here will tell you to build a lab peice by piece. You will learn the hardware better and usually get better deals. There are a ton of threads on here about building a lab. The short and sweet is usually 3 routers a 2 or 3 switches. Routers usually being 1700 or 2600xm's and the switches being 2950's.

The access server is nice but not required. You can learn most topics with 2500 routers but you can pick them up real cheap. less than $25 a piece. Stay away from 2900 and 1900 switches.

Take your time and research the lab. Read the threads on here and keep an eye out on ebay.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action