Options

Good Book Resource for New Install?

ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just recently got a new job which is heavily system administration work. Currently we have a Win2K0 Domain controller and Win2k3 Terminal Servers. The plan is to completely redo the windows servers with new Windows 2008 R2 (5 Servers) and a SAN. Do any of you experienced System Admins out there have any good recommendations for reading when it comes to textbook installation of a new Windows Network? The main points I want to read up on is Active Directory (Biggest Concern), DNS/DHCP when handled by Windows not a router, and Remote Desktop (Formally Terminal Server) in Windows 2008. My previous background is some networking, linux and just lab work with windows 2k3.

I am not looking for a book that does it all. Mostly looking for book(s) that covers these areas and how to do the best practice install since we are starting from scratch. The current network was thrown together as needed and with no budget. I would like to do it right since starting from scratch with decent funding allows us to make whatever calls we want to ensure stability.

This is a book(s) I am currently looking at:

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646): Server Administrator Core Requirements (PRO-Certification) (9780735625082): Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: Books

Any input much appreciated
WIP: CCNA

Comments

• Options
    68 views and no one has any suggestions on what books you found helpful for Microsoft technologies?
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I was going to suggest either the MCITP:SA or EA kit. It's alot of reading, but you'll find all the basics you need to know in that set.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I just recently got a new job which is heavily system administration work. Currently we have a Win2K0 Domain controller and Win2k3 Terminal Servers. The plan is to completely redo the windows servers with new Windows 2008 R2 (5 Servers) and a SAN. Do any of you experienced System Admins out there have any good recommendations for reading when it comes to textbook installation of a new Windows Network? The main points I want to read up on is Active Directory (Biggest Concern), DNS/DHCP when handled by Windows not a router, and Remote Desktop (Formally Terminal Server) in Windows 2008. My previous background is some networking, linux and just lab work with windows 2k3.

I am not looking for a book that does it all. Mostly looking for book(s) that covers these areas and how to do the best practice install since we are starting from scratch. The current network was thrown together as needed and with no budget. I would like to do it right since starting from scratch with decent funding allows us to make whatever calls we want to ensure stability.

This is a book(s) I am currently looking at:

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646): Server Administrator Core Requirements (PRO-Certification) (9780735625082): Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: Books

Any input much appreciated

For Microsoft Windows:

Technet Windows Server

^^^ Nothing is more textbook than doing it the technet way.

Windows Server Technologies:

Browse Windows Server Technologies

is Active Directory (Biggest Concern),
    Active Directory Services

DNS
    DNS Server

/DHCP when handled by Windows not a router,separator.gif
    DHCP Server

and Remote Desktop (Formally Terminal Server) in Windows 2008.
    Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)

Hope these links help you out.

Technet literally does have everything you need to get started and finished, and you can read other books for different perspectives.

With regards to SAN, I would consult with the SAN manufacturer first, but these links below will help you some, from the Microsoft side:

Storage

Backup and Recovery

I can start reading in technet, then see several hours have passed by (just lost 15 minutes while making this post)

OK, back to what I was doing, and enjoying this Memorial Day.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    @xenodamus
    Thanks, I was not sure if the books would cover the majority of what I was looking for or not but I guess since they are for people studying to be admins it should.

@instant000
    Thanks for the links. I did not realise technet had most of the information on there...

Thank you both for the help.
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    National Vulnerability Database (NVD) National Checklist Program Checklist Detail for Microsoft Security Compliance Manager - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 1.0

Will provide some security baseline configurations, just review the settings and determine if you need to modify to meet your needs.

These have been reviewed by multiple government agencies and supporting contractors so I have confidence that they are a good place to start.

R,

J.
    @xenodamus
    Thanks, I was not sure if the books would cover the majority of what I was looking for or not but I guess since they are for people studying to be admins it should.

@instant000
    Thanks for the links. I did not realise technet had most of the information on there...

Thank you both for the help.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Great book for Remote Desktop Services:

Windows Server® 2008 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration