Which cert to take for admission to WGU?

Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
I'm going for the IT - Software degree at WGU and I was my counselor told me I needed to take 1 certification and was curious which would be my best bet to take?

I got basic IT knowledge and can pick up and soak in information without a problem even if it's beyond boring.

I'm looking for the cheapest way and preferably the easiest 1 cert to take for admission as the rest of the certs will be covered in my tuition at WGU.

Kind of tight on money at the moment is really the main problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you're going software, one of the CIW certs that are listed on what you'll get with the degree. Other than that, the A+ is fairly simple, it's just costly as it's two tests.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    briandy81 wrote: »
    I'm going for the IT - Software degree at WGU and I was my counselor told me I needed to take 1 certification and was curious which would be my best bet to take?

Got an MCP? Any of the Microsoft single-shot exams certifies you as an MCP.

The CCENT and Project+ are reasonable one-shot certs you could transfer in. Oracle's Java and MySQL Associate certs aren't too terribly difficult, from what I hear.

The CIW exams are good, too, but if you take Foundations you're risking having to repeat it because they don't allow it to be transferred that I know of.

Thinking out loud-- I wonder if WGU would accept BrainBench certs? Granted, these usually have no value on the market, but they are certifications, and they have some free ones if you can find a way to get those posted to WGU.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Comptia exams would be the best IMHO
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Got an MCP? Any of the Microsoft single-shot exams certifies you as an MCP.

The CCENT and Project+ are reasonable one-shot certs you could transfer in. Oracle's Java and MySQL Associate certs aren't too terribly difficult, from what I hear.

The CIW exams are good, too, but if you take Foundations you're risking having to repeat it because they don't allow it to be transferred that I know of.

Thinking out loud-- I wonder if WGU would accept BrainBench certs? Granted, these usually have no value on the market, but they are certifications, and they have some free ones if you can find a way to get those posted to WGU.
    Well, unless BrainBench are total pushover exams require very little study, I can't see wasting my time on exams that have limited marketablity, even if only taking for admission to a university.