Options

mcitp-SA. How best to learn

offroadoffroad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am looking at doing the SA exams.
What do you recommend is the best way for studying these?
I don't have the time to go to a local college so it needs to be done from home.
I find many technical books blandly written and uninteresting, difficult to keep motivated getting through them.
So I was thinking of CBT nuggets video learning.
However would I learn enough going through these videos to pass the three exams? Do I need to buy some books and just put in the time?
If so what are classified as good books to learn from?
I know the basics of Windows server 2003 currently but nothing beyond that.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll need to suppliment the videos with books.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll definitely need to supplement those videos with books and technet. The best books for those tests are the MS Press books but the new books that cover 2008 R2 haven't been released yet (except for 70-642 book in electronic form from O'Reilly) so you can either struggle through a lot of extra technet research or wait for more books to be released.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On my studies I've found that even if you'd want to stick to only one source (which you shouldn't) you'll find yourself with doubts and unclear definitions on certain subjects which will in turn push you to look for another source of study matierial. i.e. the web, books, the occasional run to borders even youtube has some nice how to's on server 08.

So yeah as already said you don't want to base your studies in only one source no matter how good they may be, several sources and lab time is very indispensable for these exams.

Best of lucks.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Books, videos and the most important of all, a home lab! The types of topics covered in these tests are best if you have hands on performing what you're reading. Chances are if you can set up a small VM lab, you'll be able to follow along with the CBT vids and get a lot more out of them.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ounelly70ounelly70 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I think hands on experience is the best, so if you can setup your own lab environment, thats the best. I did this and then I went to a bootcamp to kind of concrete the knowledge I gained and get clarity on things I didn't really grasp on my own. I went to CED Solutions in Atlanta, GA, they flew me down there (from Raleigh) and I spent over a week there studying and getting real hands on experienceicon_study.gif. The instructor was very helpful and there were things that I just didn't understand - even after playing with them in my lab setup at home for a while... It was nice to be able to ask someone in person as I was working on it for help and insight... and to get it right there and then. It was worth it for me.