Options

WGU Acceptance

2»

Comments

• Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I asked our HR manager this question. Her reply is if the applicant is applying for a job that requires college degree, it doesn't matter what college they went only that the college is accredited. If if it then they application moves to the next pile, and that pile is trimmed down by required job skills. For us the degree will get you considered for the job, but rest depends on your experience, certs, and interview.

My personal experience, the greatest tool in getting a job is knowing someone on the inside. Networking is a huge advantage when applying for a job. My manager got a software engineering degree in the early 90's, and doesn't know the difference between a switch and a router(I wish I was kidding). But he was golfing buddies with our General Manager before he applied for our IS Manager position, and he was the least qualified for the job, but he still got the job. It sucks, but that's life sometimes.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    I asked our HR manager this question. Her reply is if the applicant is applying for a job that requires college degree, it doesn't matter what college they went only that the college is accredited.
    That is the case if the requirements are "a degree". When I search for a job, here's what I see--

CCNP-level jobs (non-managerial)--

: BS degree in CS or related work in this field
    : Bachelor's degree in telecommunications, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
    : BS or Engineering in Computer science or electronics or related IT focused.
    : B.S. preferred in engineering or technical field

: BS degree in CS or related work in this field
    : Bachelors Degree in Computer Science/Network Security or equivalent discipline or 4 years equivalent experience
    : <None>
    : Bachelor degree or higher in technical related field, Computer Science or Engineering preferred
    : <None>
    : Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience

CCIE-level jobs (non-managerial) --

: Minimum of a BS in Computer Science or equivalent is preferred.
    : BS Degree in Engineering/Math/Sciences
    : <none>
    : BS Degree in Engineering/Math/Sciences
    : <none>
    : BA/BS Degree in MIS or equivalent
    : Bachelors degree in a technical field or Masters in Computer Science
    : College degree or equivalent preferred
    : Bachelor of Science
    : Bachelor of Science

"A degree" will not be seen by quite a few of those hiring managers.

"A degree" still opens more doors than none. :)
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    You really can't beat WGU.

If you start in IT at 20 and enroll in WGU at 21 by the time you are 24 you have the 1-2-knockout of Bachelors Degree, Certifications and Experience.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    freshbaklavafreshbaklava Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    very helpful to know, thanks all