Options

Sec+ Question

cmansercmanser Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
My advanced apologies if this forum frowns upon question of this nature.
Which of the following is true about PKI? (Select two)
A. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the public key can decrypt it.
B. When encrypting a message with the private key, only the private key can decrypt it.
C. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the CA can decrypt it.
D. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the private key can decrypt it.
E. When encrypting a message with the private key, only the public key can decrypt it.

The 'answer' states A and C are correct but they both mention "only the ____ can decrypt it." My logic states If A then NOT C.

I think the answers should be D and E. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    cmanser wrote: »
    My advanced apologies if this forum frowns upon question of this nature.
    Which of the following is true about PKI? (Select two)
    A. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the public key can decrypt it.
    B. When encrypting a message with the private key, only the private key can decrypt it.
    C. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the CA can decrypt it.
    D. When encrypting a message with the public key, only the private key can decrypt it.
    E. When encrypting a message with the private key, only the public key can decrypt it.

The 'answer' states A and C are correct but they both mention "only the ____ can decrypt it." My logic states If A then NOT C.

I think the answers should be D and E. Any help would be appreciated.

You are correct, your answer key is wrong.

With asymmetric/public keys, you'd have to get your decryption from a different key than the one that encrypted it.

Case closed.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)