Where/how do you get the latest IOS?

CbrandonBCbrandonB Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

First off, I'm not talking about pirating. My question really revolves around using a Smartnet account to download IOS for my lab. Is this the common way to get the latest IOS from Cisco? Has anyone been nabbed for it? I believe Cisco has in their legal mumbo-jumbo that they can stop your account, take your first three children, and scalp you if you download an IOS that you don't have a license for, or something like that.

How do the guys who sell kits get away with it? I'm assuming its a thing that's not enforced but is there if Cisco should choose, but I definitely don't want to risk our (work's) Smartnet account if I don't have to.

Any thoughts?

Brandon

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The only legal way to get the IOS is to have a contract with Cisco. Other was of obtaining a copy of the IOS will not be discussed here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • CbrandonBCbrandonB Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks.

Not trying to step on any toes and I understand the sensitivity of legal issues.

Brandon
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only legal way to get the IOS is to have a contract with Cisco. Other was of obtaining a copy of the IOS will not be discussed here.

Cisco opens up download access to the entire site if you have a SMARTnet agreement. What happens if you download a different IOS than what the contract is originally for?

Some old hardware that is used in study you have no practical method of obtaining an IOS image for - since you can't buy an agreement for the product any longer. Personally, I'd like to be able to buy the IOS for each product. But they don't let you, so you're darned if you do, darned if you don't. But - considering they open up download access to the entire site when you do buy an agreement, the question is more "has anyone ever had action taken against them." I understand the legal issues at hand, but surely someone has some suggestions for a non-production environment?
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have any questions contact Cisco.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.