Options

New(first IT) job at a help desk starts tomorrow

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
icon_twisted.gif Let me start by saying that I don't even know the specific building I even work in yet. The guy said he'd be emailing me with the procedures for accessing the base and whatnot a week prior to my start date. Well he never did. I gave him a few days after that and emailed saying that I never got this email. He didn't respond to that. I called him yesterday and he said I'd get the email last night. Well, he never sent it icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif This job starts tomorrow and I don't even know WHEN to be there or WHERE to be! I have called this guys office numerous times and he isn't there, always out of the office. Things seem to be starting out rough. I am excited about the job but does a lot of crap like this happen in I.T. jobs? What would you guys say I should expect when people do things like this? As of now, I still have not gotten the email. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

I really am excited about this job though!! Can't wait!
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    I think that is kind of unprofessional. In regards to the lack of execution on his part, i'd say that you will have his job in less than a year or so. icon_wink.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Patience... that's what you'll need with that job.

And if the previous poster is correct, make sure you find ways to learn as much about the job as possible. People won't be willing to give information away so easily and quickly so you'll have to find the right ways to get the education you need about your new company.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    If you haven't gotten any info by lunch time today, I would call his office and explain the situation.

Tell them you are starting tomorrow and have no information about where/when to report that morning. Ask if there is anyone on hand that could clear it up for you.

That is very unprofessional, though - doesn't say good things about the guy.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is this a GS job, or a contractor position that you just got? If there is a visitor's gate, you may be able to get into that. But since you don't know what building you are going to, they probably won't let you on base.

I would not be suprised...and then again I would...if this guy doesn't have a Blackberry on him with work e-mail attached.

I would e-mail and call the guy 1 more time before tomorrow. Tell him that you have not received ANY instructions on how to get on base, which gate to go to, what building they are located in...and so on.

Is there anyone else besides this clown that you can contact regarding your job? Like an HR person, or a main number to contact? If so, start trying there.

Personally, this is what I would do tomorrow.

I would be up and ready to go when your job starts. You can try getting into the visitors gate, tell them who you are going to see, it's your first day, and you don't know which building they are in. If they do or don't let you through...pull over, park the car, and call him again.

Wait around for an hour or so...then go back home since the ball is going to be in this clown's court now. You only need to call this guy 1 time tomorrow, and then follow up with 1 last e-mail once you get home.

Explain that you have left messages and e-mail's and have receive zero response, and kindly tell him that you will wait till he calls you and send's additional information. Remember that this is overkill, but you only need to do so much work to get an incompetant supervisor's attention.

In reality, you could also expect a last minute phone call as well tomorrow morning. So be prepared either way. And yeah it's extremely unprofessional, but it happens.
  • Options
    Grrr.... I am so aggravated by this! icon_twisted.gif

This job is working on the NMCI contract.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with the other posters here, totally inconsiderate and unprofessional to not provide info for your work location.
    In my experience, this is not normal. I've always gotten at the very least an address. If the job had me relocate to another place, someone would sometimes meet me there.
    In fact, on my new job I just started, the boss not only provided me with very useful information about the area, but because the company did not provide any relocation assistance, he's letting me stay in a room in his house until I get my own place and borrow one of his spare cars.
    Keep trying to get a hold of him.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    I agree with the other posters here, totally inconsiderate and unprofessional to not provide info for your work location.
    In my experience, this is not normal. I've always gotten at the very least an address. If the job had me relocate to another place, someone would sometimes meet me there.
    In fact, on my new job I just started, the boss not only provided me with very useful information about the area, but because the company did not provide any relocation assistance, he's letting me stay in a room in his house until I get my own place and borrow one of his spare cars.
    Keep trying to get a hold of him.

I have a great boss but your's won hands down.
  • Options
    Ok so this is a contact then. More than likely you were contact by one of their HR people if I'm not mistaken. Yeah this is crazy, and then again this could be a sign of things to come with this job.

Like I said, make one more phone call to this guy. Tell him you haven't received instructions on where to meet him, what building to go to, and how to get into the base. Let him know you will make an attempt to get into the base tomorrow, and wait for his phone or e-mail tomorrow.

If you do or don't get on base, you don't hear from him by e-mail or by phone, then leave 1 more phone call...after that THEN call the HR contact, and tell them the situation if you haven't heard from him the day after you were supposed to start.

Sometimes it's like dating, stop waiting by the phone, say your peace and move on, if they want you, they will call you. One thing you have to remember is to be polite, professional, but not waste your time.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have a great boss but your's won hands down.
    Thanks, I agree. I feel great taking this new job.

He's a retired full-bird Army colonel, believes in looking after his people.
  • Options
    Code...Who are you going through for this contract...like in which company?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    When I was in high school I went to my first day on the job at a local movie theater all dressed up and everything. The manager was really busy and he told me stay put for a second and he would be right back....well that turned out to be 2 hours of me standing by the candy machine. He finally comes back and says "what are you doing?!?" I was shocked but before I could utter a response he says "just go walk threw some theater rooms and ill explain the rest later" yeah I never got any further instructions but I watched A LOT of movies over and over again

Edit: Sorry Code I realise that was off subject...If I was you I would keep calling/emailing until you get an answer. Also call your recruiter and advise them of the situation
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Well I finally got the documents. I emailed him and he called promptly after. Apparently, he sent them. Only they for some reason never reached my GMAIL account. Guess it was good I decided to email after all.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    icon_twisted.gif Let me start by saying that I don't even know the specific building I even work in yet. The guy said he'd be emailing me with the procedures for accessing the base and whatnot a week prior to my start date. Well he never did. I gave him a few days after that and emailed saying that I never got this email. He didn't respond to that. I called him yesterday and he said I'd get the email last night. Well, he never sent it icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif This job starts tomorrow and I don't even know WHEN to be there or WHERE to be! I have called this guys office numerous times and he isn't there, always out of the office. Things seem to be starting out rough. I am excited about the job but does a lot of crap like this happen in I.T. jobs? What would you guys say I should expect when people do things like this? As of now, I still have not gotten the email. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

I really am excited about this job though!! Can't wait!

Good luck with it!

Some advice:

1. Turn up early.
    2. Dress smartly.
    3. Listen and take notes.
    4. Smile
    5. Dont complain about anything.
    6. Make friends.
    7. Take your breaks the same time as the others.
    8. If you smoke. Quit.
    9. Be patient.
    10. Dont criticise anyone.
    11. Listen.
    12. If you are not sure about anything ask again, but pay attention. Dont ask a third time.
    13. Being new people will want your opinions about things there. Whatever you say will get around. Be careful.
    14. Being new people will want your opinions about people you work with who they dont like. Whatever you say will get around. Be careful.
    15. Be loyal to your boss, even if you cant stand them.
    16. Be very guarded about first impressions about people. In time they will become friends or enemies, so be patient there..
    17. Understand processes there. Observe them always.
    18. Avoid annoying personal habits. People talk.
    19. Be helpful at all times.
    20. Work hard.
    21. Dont be opinionated.
    22. Small talk is good, but remember to focus on your work.
    23. Dont surf the web for anything other than work related stuff
    24. Dont email personal stuff.
    25. Dont antagonise any of the facilities management people, receptionists, janitors, car park attendants.
    26. Don't get angry at anyone.
    27. If there is a 'break' moment when your peers are having some fun, interact.
    28. Avoid politics in discussion
    29. Avoid religion in discussion
    30. Avoid race in discussion
    31.Have a sense of humour
    32. Be reliable
    33. Ask for help when you need it
    34. Befriend one member of staff who is approachable and helpful and knows the ropes.
    35. Ask your boss for feedback on your performance and guidance.

36+. Pay attention to the technical stuff.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good luck with it!

Some advice:

12. If you are not sure about anything ask again, but pay attention. Dont ask a third time.

Good advice all the way down Turgon. On this one, stop by a store this afternoon and grab yourself a little spiral pocket notebook and pen (both small enough to get dropped into a pocket and not be visible). If you ask about something you don't understand, write down both your question and the answer. You may 'get it' today as its being explained to you. In a month when the situation arises again, you'll be able to get by with 'just a rookie' question. A month after that, the person doing the explaining will start to get a bit frustrated that you either can't remember a 'simple' process or are too lazy to be bothered with writing things down.

Good luck on the new job.

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    When I was in high school I went to my first day on the job at a local movie theater all dressed up and everything. The manager was really busy and he told me stay put for a second and he would be right back....well that turned out to be 2 hours of me standing by the candy machine. He finally comes back and says "what are you doing?!?" I was shocked but before I could utter a response he says "just go walk threw some theater rooms and ill explain the rest later" yeah I never got any further instructions but I watched A LOT of movies over and over again

Edit: Sorry Code I realise that was off subject...If I was you I would keep calling/emailing until you get an answer. Also call your recruiter and advise them of the situation
    Hahaha, how long did you last there? Didn't see that post :D
  • Options
    Guys... Just curious. What happens if there is a lot of stuff that I THOUGHT I knew but really didn't? What happens then? Like what happens if I don't resolve many tickets? O_O I've never worked a HelpDesk so I am curious.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Guys... Just curious. What happens if there is a lot of stuff that I THOUGHT I knew but really didn't? What happens then? Like what happens if I don't resolve many tickets? O_O I've never worked a HelpDesk so I am curious.

Ask for an opinion (google first before that), throw some ideas at the person you just asked and they will guide you. You will not know everything but if you can research and try somewhat to tackle the issue that gains more respect than not doing anything at all and just asking someone for help.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300

Most help desks have 1-2 people with all the answers and a bunch of people who just want to collect a paycheck. Work hard and it will come with time.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Hahaha, how long did you last there? Didn't see that post :D

About 4 weeks I believe...I may have not come into work during spring break and apparently they frown on such things. What can I say I was a knuckle head when I was in high school icon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures