Options

Another server monitoring thread

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
At my new job we currently have SCOM 2007 in place. I have been given the following options:

1. Get to know it (company can buy books, CBTs or training)
2. Replace it

I've never worked with SCOM but I am always willing to learn something new. I know they are coming with a new version in 2012 but that's too far away. Given the option, would you stick with it or look into something else? I see that some recommend Zabbix or Zennos along with Nagios or Cacti. One of the main factors I will take into consideration is ease of implementation as I'm buried in projects and can't dedicate the time something like Nagios will require. I worked briefly with What's Up Gold and found it fairly simple to deploy and administer.

Our environment is 100% Microsoft including SQL, Exchange and vSphere.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would certainly get to know it. I used it for a short time at a previous job an thought it was excellent. I have alos used Nagios and Zabbix and only use Nagios currently because we are unable to purchase SCOM - we are also a 100% MS shop, there are a few Linux systems but they are not "ours," we just fix 'em when the break. I would cedrtainly use it if only because of the investment the company has already made.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We are also an MS shop but we use this monitoring software called Paesller PRTG, I think it's good. But you have the chance to learn SCOM, GO FOR IT. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my opinion, SCOM is good for MS stuff... not so much on the networking side.

I am using the NetQoS suite for most everything, myself. It is VERY expensive, though.

In the past, I have used IP Monitor (a Solarwinds' acquisition) and What's Up Gold. They are relatively inexpensive and provide a well-rounded offering using SNMP, SSH commands, and WMI.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For a 100% Microsoft shop, I would 100% stick with SCOM. I will say there is a bit of a learning curve to get it tweaked and understand the underpinnings of the product, but what robust monitoring solution doesn't? There are LOTS of free resources at Microsoft and elsewhere to get you going.

I would agree that monitoring non-Microsoft products may not be ideal with SCOM. Lots of the major players in IT, such as Citrix, EMC, Symantec, Dell, etc have management packs for their products to snap in to SCOM, but often they are pretty crappy.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...