Options

Global Knowledge bootcamp MCITP:SA

marcins78marcins78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any experience with taking a boot camp from Global Knowledge? I am considering one, but I am not sure if it is worth it? It kind of scares me that in only 6 days, I could become MCITP.
I appreciate any opinions.

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Six days to MCITP:SA ? That would be a lot of info to try and push in a very short period of time. Two years ago my employer paid for me to attend a VMWare C&I course taught by one of the Global Knowledge instructors. It was a good course with an instructor that knew what he was talking about. I was able to reinforce the instruction by having one of our (work) VMWare guru's walk me through a lot of it on one of our non-production systems since the course itself was very linear.

I'd imagine an MCITP:SA 6-day boot camp would have to be very rigidly structured with not a lot of time for "uh oh, my screen doesn't look like yours because I zigged when I should have zagged". While it may teach you what you need to pass the tests (in very broad strokes) you may not actually be ready to take any of the exams without additional studying or labbing on your own. Don't know how well it would prepare you for actually doing the work either.

See if Global Knowledge is willing to put you in contact with some people who have recently taken one of their boot camps to see how well they felt they were prepared.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Study for 3 exams in 6 days! im taking 2 months of study per exam icon_biggrin.gif

Thats some serious cramming.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I was on a course for SBS 2003 back in the day. It wasn't all that useful and I found the books given out by the course to be next to useless. When the instructor asked some questions, he seemed quite taken aback when I was able to answer all of his port number questions (easy stuff), we never seemed to get out of second gear in to nitty gritty stuff. Ever since I have been self taught and much prefer it. Maybe it was a bad experience in some way but there is so much information that you need to know to pass a Microsoft exam that you simply can't cover everything you need to know in the time alloted. You really need a book to back you up.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of our members, eMeS, works for this mob. Check with him if you want more info. Since he works for them, I can put $50 on that they dont encourage ****.

But like the others said, 6 days, seriously, no!! You cant learn enough to pass 3/4 exams in 6 days. If your employer sends you to such places, go for it. If it's on your own dime, stay away from them. Your money would be better spent on putting together a good computer, CBT's and practice tests.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Really, that's no good. Someone must have riled him up, o well his choice...he was helpful though.

HeroPsycho left for a similar reason, someone kept **** him off and one day he created a last thread and said adieu.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I took this very boot camp myself and it is possible to get the SA in 6 days.

This boot camp requires that you know 2008 already as it is not a real hands-on and labbing class. You review stuff, have a server to play with and then have a cram session before the exam.

Day 1 - Review of 642
    Day 2 - 1 hour cram before exam
    Day 3 - Review of 640
    Day 4 - 1 hour cram before exam
    Day 5 - Review of 646
    Day 6 - 1 hour cram before exam

That is how it was when I took it October 2010 unless they have changed it.

Good luck and it is doable if you have the experience. icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    zort2001zort2001 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Disclaimer: I work for GK and teach these. The MCITP:SA camp is 6 days and not intended to provide skills. It is a rapid review design. You must have the necessary pre-req's to be successful. Days are long and very focused. We do not use **** materials. The PowerHour is a rapid review that creates word associations to topics. For instance, ADI-DNS provides Secure-Only Updates. Again, It is designed for exam prep and focused on nothing else.
  • Options
    marcins78marcins78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate all great answers. I will most likely pick up books and review the material first and then sign up for this class. I want to know the material of the exams and be able to apply it, not only end up with a cert , so I believe this might be a good route for me.