Cables and IEEE standards.

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
For the CCNA do we need to know all the cables i.e. fiber and Ethernet standard for the IEEE? and how far and how each cable communicate?

Thanks

Comments

• jtdk985jtdk985 Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im hoping it doesnt go into extreme detail in that :/
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    No idea.

I did a practice exam that came with my book, and I missed one of the two questions they served up on that topic. Because of this, I'm going to make flash cards for that, so it won't be an issue.

Do I know for sure whether or not it would be on the test?

No, I do not.

However, I can say for sure that I remember a time back in 2001, I was at Fort Carson, and it was cold (isn't it always cold there in the winter?) and we were on a field training exercise.

We had this thing called a CSSASI (Combat Service Support Automatid Information Systems Interface) ... I could have the acronym wrong, it was like ten years ago...

Anyway, the device (we called it a "kay-cee") was basically a network closet in a box, which you could use to serve off phones, LAN connections, etc. (you could connect it in to a signal from the radio people, and you could then connect back to the unclassified internet). The K C was awesome.

Anyway, on to the moral of the story (thanks for humoring me, with the background text).

Anyway, we had one of the longer cabling runs (The KC could support WF-16, coax, etc., like I said, it was a network closet in a box) ... except it was too long. It was longer than the maximum allowed length for a Coax run. We ended up terminating the cable, and the customer basically moved their vehicle closer to the signal, LOL. (We weren't allowed to use repeater/switch at the time, or we would have just done that)

I said all of that to say what?

Well, that your maximum cable lengths do mean something, and are important. While I personally disagree with the need to "memorize" them, I can truly say that it came in handy to be able to point out that the cable was too long, right off the bat, and that was why there were signaling issues.

Hope this helps.

edit: wf-16 just refers to field wire, basically, two strands of wire, similar to a regular old telephone line two-strands, except that it was rugged enough that you could drive Humvees over it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Specifically for the exam, I'm not sure how deep it's covered. Knowing maximum length etc was key for Network+. Which is how it was drilled into me. If you're simply trying to pass the exam, it's likely not vital. But if you plan on a career in networking. I would definitely learn the general differences, speed and maximum length. It is useful knowledge for the real world & trouble-shooting.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    MosGuy wrote: »
    ... But if you plan on a career in networking. I would definitely learn the general differences, speed and maximum length. It is useful knowledge for the real world & trouble-shooting.

+1 for this.
    Knowing cable length, spec, and small things like CNR vs. CMP, etc. is really helpful in the real world. For instance, you can wire a site with CMR Cat 6 in the ceiling / subfloor and have to completely rewire the site because CMR is only spec. for vertical use.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness