Options

Wireless Radios

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Does anyone here have a job consisting of 2 way radio networking support?

If so, how much is the communications networking related to computer networking?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    the two are definitely converging to the same technologies. I started out in telecomms myself, and "back in the day", they definitely were different. Even where digital was used, we weren't using routers, TCP/IP, ethernet, etc.
    VoIP and streaming audio/video are going to ultimately cement telecomms and IT, so it will all be just data networks. "Old-fashioned" voice systems would be a niche.

I would need more details to know how much this job would relate to IT. Digital radios? If so, do they use VoIP? Using VoIP would be very much related to computer networking.
  • Options
    I think the 2 way radios use microwave/rf signals from the ethernet/IP based switches at certain frequencies. The engineer changed a route on a IP and directed the radio to a different frequency, Im not sure if the radios themselves are voip but they do have IP addresses. Im new there, Im going to be supporting the microwave network but at this time Im working on a couple servers that are out of service. Let me know how much more detail is needed and I will seek more info in the infrastructure. Thanks
  • Options
    Probably VoIP, certainly its an IP based network. The voice may be digitized and handled differently at the front end than VoIP standards though, but still sounds like your doing network engineering. Sounds like a good crossover job!

Well, the make and model of the radios, then you can google them. But from what you told me, a typical TCP/IP network is being used.
  • Options
    Motorola radios, will google some tomorrow
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    there are some wild new radios out there. you'd be kidding yourself if you were not CCNAd and tried setting them up, literally. Closest thing I can think of is a VoIP/RoIP wireless router. These new babies combine the legacy analog rf and todays IP technologies and will rock your world. they'll run hf/vhf/uhf/satcom, with other other manufacturer proprietary modes of operation, that will also do IP bulk encryption as well as make lunch for you.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Thanks, I will give the lunch thing a try
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    there are some wild new radios out there. you'd be kidding yourself if you were not CCNAd and tried setting them up, literally. Closest thing I can think of is a VoIP/RoIP wireless router. These new babies combine the legacy analog rf and todays IP technologies and will rock your world. they'll run hf/vhf/uhf/satcom, with other other manufacturer proprietary modes of operation, that will also do IP bulk encryption as well as make lunch for you.
    Hehe you should get into marketing :p