Options

SpiceCorp - Knoxville

RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
Hey guys,

Not sure how many here use SpiceWorks or not (I love it!), but one thing they offer is support for local user groups they call SpiceCorps.

One thing I have noticed living in Knoxville and starting my budding IT career in Knoxville is that we lack any sort of local user group. I know there are some Knoxville/ East TN guys here. I have talked to many of you! And one thing always comes up- you know of any good local groups?

Well, I am looking at starting one. Right now, I know a few guys who would be interested in participating. I am thinking probably a monthly meetup at a local venue (which can change).

I think it is important to be able to talk shop with other local professionals. It gives you the opportunity to bounce ideas off of each other, discuss upcoming tech/products/trends, do some QA about some projects you may be working on to talk with other's who may have done it before you, etc. It also helps build up that network of contacts which is extremely important to have- especially for developing a career. On the few training classes I have traveled for, I really really enjoyed the aspect of talking about how each person's department handles problems, tech, etc differently. I would be lying if I didn't say some of these ideas swayed me to change some things I do for the better.

Apparently there was an interest in doing this a couple years ago, but like most groups in Knoxville, it died. People get busy, etc. Fortunately for me, being a recently single guy with no children... time is something I do have. I would like to use that free time to help further a cause bigger than myself. I want to get us Knoxville IT guys united :) If anything, it never hurts to have an excuse to get out of the house for a couple hours one evening right?

Feel free to drop by here (revived an older thread that one of the SW guys revived back in April) Knoxville SpiceCorp - Spiceworks Community to voice your support/interest or just let me know here. The more interest we have, the soon we can get this going!

Thanks guys!
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel