remote labs for CCENT

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I haven't started studying towards the CCENT yet but am considering it.
I now know from my earlier post that ideally i should buy a CISCO router such as 851W which has a full version of IOS software as well as a GUI interface.
Unfortunately i can't afford this and dont have several computers to network together and test things out. All I have are two computers

I haven't bought any CISCO books yet but i have saved the routeralley guide and also have chris bryants ultimate ccna guide. I also have cbt nuggets series but this I got from a friend who bought it and didn't pursue it. I watched the first video.Seems good.

I dont want to start studying for the CISCO exam until i fully know what i'm getting myself into. I'm currently unemployed so dont have the money for enrolling on a ccent course so really i'll be doing home study. What is really bothering me is this whole IOS business...and installing,implementing it.

i came across this website ConfigureTerminal.com - CCNA Remote Labs

while reading up about CISCO. Has anyone used this? is it an effective way to learn how to use IOS and troubleshoot systems?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For right now since your unemployed i'd suggest you not spend any money on a lab. I'd suggest just going ahead and start studing for the CCENT with the CBT nuggets videos you have now.

I think renting a remote lab for $30 a month isn't worth it. When you could purchase a small lab for $100-200

You can find 2950 switches around $20-40 on ebay
    2611 routers around $40 each
    Plus, once your done with them you can sell them on ebay.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    For right now since your unemployed i'd suggest you not spend any money on a lab. I'd suggest just going ahead and start studing for the CCENT with the CBT nuggets videos you have now.

I think renting a remote lab for $30 a month isn't worth it. When you could purchase a small lab for $100-200

You can find 2950 switches around $20-40 on ebay
    2611 routers around $40 each
    Plus, once your done with them you can sell them on ebay.

thanks for your advice. I will do this and just try to understand the theory and then hopefully soon put it into practice

But there is something else i'd like to ask that may actually highlight my ignorance of cisco hardware. Say i do buy a cisco 2950 switch or similar and a 2611 router. I assume this means I buy one of each. I then plug my computer into the switch using a CAT5e/6 ethernet cable. The router is then plugged into the switch via a cross over cable which goes into the "uplink port". I then plug the router into my wall outlet and I will then be able to surf the internet using the router as a adsl model? Does this sound correct?

With my current setup which uses a 802.11 ADSL router/modem i had to load the netgear drivers onto it in order to setup the connection to the device.In order to access setup i would goto 192.168.0.1 within my web browser. Is it the same with cisco switches/routers...i.e you need software drivers to ensure its recognized by the PC?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    While using real equipment is great, you can easily use Cisco's packet tracer software for most of the stuff they had on that site.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    VAHokie56 is right, for CCENT packet tracer is all you really need, if you do want to work with real equipment though, you don't need a bunch of computers, just a few virtual machines, a cheap 1721 or 2611 and a 2950.

Good luck!
    nerdydad wrote: »
    VAHokie56 is right, for CCENT packet tracer is all you really need, if you do want to work with real equipment though, you don't need a bunch of computers, just a few virtual machines, a cheap 1721 or 2611 and a 2950.

Good luck!

thanks but i wont be elligible for packet tracer as i'm not a student or attend any college or university

is this some of the hardware you suggested
    CISCO 1721 (64/32). 30 DAY WARRANTY! VAT INCLUDED! | eBay UK

and

Cisco WS-C2950-12 C2950 12 Port Ethernet Switch * | eBay UK
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, we all know how to find things, but the open forum is not the place to discuss it. What happens in the lab stays in the lab. icon_cool.gif
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Yeah I don't know the legality on PT but I know I took a "Routing & Switching" course a couple years ago that was not at all affiliated with Cisco and the instructor handed it out freely...so I have had it ever since icon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    thanks for your help!:)