Options

LinkedIn

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
Up until about 4 weeks ago I avoided Social Networking sites like the plague. I finally gave in, and one of the sites I joined was LinkedIn. I created my profile and basically haven't logged in since, because I found it boring and wasn't sure what else to do with it.

This morning I received an e-mail saying saying someone at the company I just finished my 2nd interview with wants to "connect" with me.

Does this mean anything? I've had several e-mails back and forth with this person, and talked to her on the phone once. Is this supposed to be a sign that the company is still interested in me? I'm used to "networking" the old fashioned way, so I guess I don't quite get this site yet.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had somebody from the HR department from an old job that wanted to connect but that was to keep in contact in case a job opened up. This person might have liked you and wants to do the same. Either you got the job or if you did not they want to keep you in their circle for the future.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    One way to find out.

People on social networking sites come in many flavors you get those that actually communicate with you, and then you have those that see it as contest and they want 100's of connections and don't speak to anyone.

Either way.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use it! Networking (people) seems to be a route into jobs and job opportunities.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed! Use it. I get alot of calls related to searches on the site.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Keenon,
    Look me up dmacomber, we are both in TN cant hurt.
    Currently Reading:
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Up until about 4 weeks ago I avoided Social Networking sites like the plague. I finally gave in, and one of the sites I joined was LinkedIn. I created my profile and basically haven't logged in since, because I found it boring and wasn't sure what else to do with it.

This morning I received an e-mail saying saying someone at the company I just finished my 2nd interview with wants to "connect" with me.

Does this mean anything? I've had several e-mails back and forth with this person, and talked to her on the phone once. Is this supposed to be a sign that the company is still interested in me? I'm used to "networking" the old fashioned way, so I guess I don't quite get this site yet.

I posted an article on this forum that talks about searching for jobs and I saw this qoute about social networking and how much is used to find jobs.

best online resources (aka FREE ONES) for job hunters

I thought this was a good article

This morning on the Buzz, we discussed the best online resources (aka FREE ONES) for job hunters. And the information didn’t come from me, just poking around the Internet. It came from an actual, accredited, highly educated career coach, Cindy Edwards.

Here’s the lowdown on what she said. It’s like a mini career coach session, for FREE. Are we good to you people, or WHAT?

Since over 80% of jobs are found through networking, you want to use job boards to locate the jobs but your network to actually land a job. That’s why sites like LinkedIn.com are so necessary to help you expand your professional network.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lochmoigh wrote: »
    Keenon,
    Look me up dmacomber, we are both in TN cant hurt.
    already sent you a connect invite icon_smile.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lochmoigh wrote: »
    Use it! Networking (people) seems to be a route into jobs and job opportunities.

This is a business social networking site, it is different from facebook/myspace. Like lochmoigh said, use it to network with your career. You can have so many opportunities in life with this site. Any career driven individual has to network with people to get ahead. Use it as a career tool and do not see linkedin as a social website like facebook/myspace. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LinkedIn is excellent for connecting with people, obviously just be sure to always keep it professional and keep personal items to a minimum. It gets less boring once you starting connecting with people in your field, you can sure news, ideas, questions and its actually quite entertaining and helpful. Good luck! Worse case, you can just delete it!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had more than one recruiter contact me through LinkedIn.
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    already sent you a connect invite icon_smile.gif

Cool thanks.
    Currently Reading:

• Options
    wagnerismwagnerism Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say sign up, but be sure to fill it completely out as it is an online resume. A half-ass job could hurt your chances. Be 100% positive and write an essay about each of your positions describing what was so great about your work there. I have gotten so many connections from former employers when they saw my positive review of their position. Those connections get you more visibility.

I'm getting three or more LinkedIn recruiter messages per week and most of them are relevant. Unfortunately, many of them have issues - really short term contract assignments in name-an-armpit-of-a-city, lowball pay, or something literally in a warzone.

The "InMail" messages are ones recruiters have to buy and they're generally more professional, honest, and have quality positions. They work for companies that have budgets and the recruiter is salaried. They can pay better if they don't have to pay commission to a recruiter.

The "Link Requests" - from people you don't know - at all are generally the cheap and shady recruiters that are often working independently on commission. They get a payday when you sign for a job and will stretch the truth on BOTH sides. This is not entirely bad - you can score a job for which you aren't not quite yet qualified... if you can swim instead of sink.

Either way, you could be getting leads out of it!
  • Options
    I guess it was a good sign, 'cause the next day I got an e-mail asking what days I'd be available for them to fly me out for a face to face interview. :D
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess it was a good sign, 'cause the next day I got an e-mail asking what days I'd be available for them to fly me out for a face to face interview. :D

Congrats and Good Luck!
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's awesome! Its rare that they fly people out anymore. Good luck!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Another good Linkedin tip, when you're going to interview, look up the company on there. Try and find the folks in the department you're interviewing for, let's you see what type of people you're going to be working with. Also, it doesn't hurt to look up your interviewer as well, let's you know who you're interviewing with. Some call it cyber-stalking, I call it being as fully equipped as you can be.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    VancouverTechieVancouverTechie Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□

It is for networking with old and new colleagues. It is to your benefit to network and get your name out there. Another good thing is join a couple of groups and join in on the discussions. It is some of the same content as this forum. Yes, there are job opportunities out there for the qualified individuals.

VT
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I spent a couple hours after putting the kids to bed last night applying to more jobs. This morning the "Recruiting Manager" for one of the jobs I applied to last night invited me to connect on LinkedIn.

I haven't received any other communication from this person yet. I suppose it either means that they are interested, or are researching me 1st?

I did say it was best to call me after 3pm in my cover letter, so maybe it's too early to tell... I have a bad habit of trying to read into things. :P
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the tips. I spent a couple hours after putting the kids to bed last night applying to more jobs. This morning the "Recruiting Manager" for one of the jobs I applied to last night invited me to connect on LinkedIn.

I haven't received any other communication from this person yet. I suppose it either means that they are interested, or are researching me 1st?

I did say it was best to call me after 3pm in my cover letter, so maybe it's too early to tell... I have a bad habit of trying to read into things. :P

Personally, I wouldn't add the recruiter if they have full access to my profile, and got the information they needed. If you already gave them your resume and/or cover letter, then that should be enough before your interview with them. Just tell them you are not on LinkedIn everyday (even though that may be a lie).
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't add the recruiter if they have full access to my profile, and got the information they needed. If you already gave them your resume and/or cover letter, then that should be enough before your interview with them. Just tell them you are not on LinkedIn everyday (even though that may be a lie).

Eh I already accepted. I only have like 3 people on it now. I really am not on it at all until I get one of these e-mails. It doesn't have anything you can't find on my resume, which is why I still have a hard time seeing the point of it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Eh I already accepted. I only have like 3 people on it now. I really am not on it at all until I get one of these e-mails. It doesn't have anything you can't find on my resume, which is why I still have a hard time seeing the point of it.

Here is the difference.

Putting your resume on a job site is the equivalent of putting up a web page about yourself, and hoping someone hits the link.

Putting your resume up on linked in is the same thing, until you "link" to others.

Once you link to others, their profile will appear in the margin of your page. Likewise, when someone pulls up one of those linked people's pages, there is a chance that a link to your own profile could appear in the margin, and someone could click on it.

Also, there are potential professional enrichment opportunities, as you can join like-minded professional groups.

Basically, by being on linked in, your chances of exposure are higher.

Also, people will try to scan for candidates on linked in.

I've had people say that your linked in page should not be the same thing as your resume. I'm not sure I mind or care much either way, as my resume has devolved to be one or two lines about each job, with those lines being nothing more than title, location, date.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)