Options

web development relevancy to networking?

headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Isn't this pretty much like asking an electrician to do a plumber's job and vice versa. In my technology program (networking academy) they've thrown in all sorts of courses I feel are irrelevant. My instructor's say employers want jack of all trades, to me it sounds like they want to pay one person to do two jobs.

They have mandatory courses in HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP... as well as database (access 2007), and even spreadsheets (excel 2007).

If I end doing any kind of spreadsheets with a CCNA I hope someone puts a bullet in my head.

I was under the impression most enterprises segmented the different domains.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    headshot wrote: »
    Isn't this pretty much like asking an electrician to do a plumber's job and vice versa. In my technology program (networking academy) they've thrown in all sorts of courses I feel are irrelevant. My instructor's say employers want jack of all trades, to me it sounds like they want to pay one person to do two jobs.

They have mandatory courses in HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP... as well as database (access 2007), and even spreadsheets (excel 2007).

If I end doing any kind of spreadsheets with a CCNA I hope someone puts a bullet in my head.

You need to learn how to do scripting and coding for networking roles these days and it's not uncommon to find yourself pulling double duty with both routers/switches/networked coffee makers and servers so you have to know how to do certain things outside of the network infrastructure. Yes, spreadsheets and other organizational tools are used in network management so you will have to use them on a regular basis when you are involved in an organizational structure to keep information available to anyone who might need it.
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Spreadsheets are highly relevant. Good for documenting info.

Never hurts to understand programming.

He is right - you will often find yourself doing multiple roles with blurred lines.
  • Options
    OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□

BLAM!

Some company's don't care if your the Director of IT, if no one else is around you best bet you'll be fixing their spreadsheet! :D
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Because if you are well rounded, you are more valuable. Period. If you learn it and never use it other than a selling point, that's awesome. You make more for using it. If you do use it, it will probably be rarely. But, learning the other things gives you a different perspective that you may not have had before. Or a new feature in Excel that would help you in your job...

Oh, and BTW: Electricians do know a lot about plumbing and carpentry and how it relates to how they have to do their job. They all work together as a team to get it all finished correctly.
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Not to mention electricians run a lot of conduit and you also never want to run high voltage next to water lines. Its good for them to know plumbing to do it efficiently.

It's always good to know skills related to other positions in your industry. It makes your life a lot easier and things work out much better for everyone.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□

You will end up doing spreadsheets still with a CCIE. It's called documentation and IT is now rife with it. You will be judged heavily on your ability to produce consistently good documentation throughout your IT career. Probably more so than your ability to fix issues.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.