I've decided to do CCENT. Any advice?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
After spending time on here i've decided to do ccent. I am a little scared to be honest as i've got so used to the comptia certs I hope the ccent isn't too beyond my grasp. I have plenty of training material and am getting Odom's book next week.

But can anyone tell me how much more difficult you found ccent compared to Network+ and how long it took you to study for and then take/pass the ICND1 exam?

I am only focussing on ICND1 for now as I want to break things up.

P.s. as for my name "MrXPert" i'm not an expert at anything so don't take it the wrong way. I only chose the name as I was thinking of ATI Expert at work graphic card range. You remember those old back in the day gpu's. The good old days.lol
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    MrXpert wrote: »
    After spending time on here i've decided to do ccent. I am a little scared to be honest as i've got so used to the comptia certs I hope the ccent isn't too beyond my grasp. I have plenty of training material and am getting Odom's book next week.

But can anyone tell me how much more difficult you found ccent compared to Network+ and how long it took you to study for and then take/pass the ICND1 exam?

I am only focussing on ICND1 for now as I want to break things up.

P.s. as for my name "MrXPert" i'm not an expert at anything so don't take it the wrong way. I only chose the name as I was thinking of ATI Expert at work graphic card range. You remember those old back in the day gpu's. The good old days.lol

I didn't have any problems learning the material. I did have some experience though because I had taken Cisco Routing and Switching classes at my school. When I started studying for the exam, it was fairly easy to pick up where I left off.

Are you starting from scratch or have you any previous experience with Cisco Routers and Switches whether it be classwork, personal study, or on the job training?
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have any problems learning the material. I did have some experience though because I had taken Cisco Routing and Switching classes at my school. When I started studying for the exam, it was fairly easy to pick up where I left off.

Are you starting from scratch or have you any previous experience with Cisco Routers and Switches whether it be classwork, personal study, or on the job training?

nope never touched anything cisco before. It will be a new experience for me.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You know how the CompTIA tests were fairly easy, multiple choice question type things where even if you didn't know something you could kinda guess at it. Yeah, throw that out the window. I know full well part of the reason I did not pass the CCENT today was due to my underestimation of the level of difficulty involved. Also, know subnetting, that cannot be stressed enough. I thought I had it down, 67% in that area, looks like I need more practice.

I used the Cisco Press book by Wendell Odom, CBT nuggets, some Labsim and the Sybex book, along with a 1721 router and 2950 switch to practice on. This test is no joke.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.