Options

Interview Questions

PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
So this was the job posting. What type of interview questions should I expect to get. thanks in advanced.

Desktop Technician

We are currently looking to hire a mid-level desktop support professional with a strong motivation to learn and join a team oriented environment. We are a local non profit and a dynamic organization that looks for individuals who are career-motivated, professional and hard working. The work atmosphere of our organization is both fun and professional. This is a perfect environment for someone who has a strong work ethic and values building strong relationships with co-workers.

This position joins a team of 10 others in the IT Operations Department, reporting to an IT Director with over 15 years of varied technical experience. In addition to learning new technical skills, this position offers tremendous potential for career growth. This is a great opportunity for someone who likes to take initiative and is looking for professional growth in network or systems management. Individuals whom are looking to continue hands-on desktop work while taking on additional network support responsibilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Installation and deployment of 300 wireless laptops
- Desktop migration from Windows XP to Vista
- Software and hardware upgrades, installs and configuration to wireless laptops and PCs
- VPN management
- Creation/maintenance/editing of user accounts (i.e. permissions, security, group policies)
- Troubleshooting MS Office and Outlook issues
- On-site troubleshooting for end users - connectivity and passwords

Qualifications include:
- At least 2 yrs professional desktop experience
- Windows experience required
- Norton Ghost
- Knowledge of Server 2003 helpful
- Strong MS Office and Outlook knowledge
- Associates Degree in Computer Science or related field required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred

Please submit resume to the link above

Comments

• Options
    gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I applied for an internship last year with a very similar job description. They asked me some basic A+ type questions. A few that I can remember are: Have you ever edited the registry? How would you troubleshoot a faulty printer? How would you upgrade a computer component? A few questions related to ipconfig, etc. That's all I can remember.

They also asked me a few behavioral questions that really blindsided me. The one I remember was "What frustrates you?"

Hope that helps you.
  • Options
    Yes thanks so much for responding.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try to prepare for a situation based question.
    Even if you don't know the right answer use solid troubleshooting techniques.
    some questions i got at my last helpdesk interview were:
    1) How do you recall a sent message?
    2) How would you map a network drive?
    3) Describe how a computer gets an IP address, how would you troubleshoot?
    4) what would you do if you are asked a question to which you do not know the answer?
  • Options
    So is this a good answer for the question: What frustrates you.

When theres a lack of communication and when people are negative? Should i add more to this?
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    PPforLife wrote: »
    So is this a good answer for the question: What frustrates you.

When theres a lack of communication and when people are negative? Should i add more to this?

I'd change or remove when people are negative. They may feel you can't handle stress well.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    Try to prepare for a situation based question.
    Even if you don't know the right answer use solid troubleshooting techniques.
    some questions i got at my last helpdesk interview were:
    1) How do you recall a sent message?
    2) How would you map a network drive?
    3) Describe how a computer gets an IP address, how would you troubleshoot?
    4) what would you do if you are asked a question to which you do not know the answer?
    Questions asked of me for my "technical test" were almost exactly worded like these. All of these were asked of me. Test was for help desk position
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    What is the best way to answer a question if you dont know it or remember it. I guess the remembering one is easy. But what if you dont know it, but know how to find the answer.
  • Options
    Was wondering if you guys got any brain teasers questions in an IT interview. If so please list some.