Options

I want a higher salary, where should I go from here?

was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello boys and girls!

my last visit here was in April 2006! I'd like your advises please:

I have a 2 years Techonology Diploma in Network Administration. I Passed in 2006 my CCNA, MCP and MCSA on Windows 2000 and Comptia A+ certification.

After that, I worked for 2 years for a company based in Africa. Then I got fed up, and I had enough money to pursue my dream which was to become an airline pilot. I've done it.

Due to the way the economy is, I can't find a job as an airline pilot now, so I have decided to work as a technical support agent at IBM in Canada. Because I have not worked in the IT field since 2008, I know that I have to start at such an entry level job, and I'm getting half what I was getting before. Now I am getting 17.50$/hour.

I'd like to know what certifications, studies I could pursue so as to get back into the game, and get a salary in the range of 30$/hour? I'm ready to study anything!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is no sure for direction for any of this. Normally if you don't have a passion for technology you can only go so for. You are making pretty good cash there for something who has been out of the game.

Define your experience and passions for us?

I can give you some generic recommendations...

Generally you are probably going to take the next step after CCNA and grab some specializations. Voice and Security. From there any of the CCNP lineup will do.

On the Microsoft side of things you want your core knowledge, MCITP:Server Administrator 2008 and then at least two specializations, say MCTS:Exchange 2010, Configuring and MCTS:SQL Server 2008, Configuring.

Security+ and Linux+ would be good moves too.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,

thank you so much for your input!

My only real passion is Aviation. Unfortunately, I can't find a job in this field, at the moment. I may find a job tomorrow, in 6 months, in 4 years or never. While I'm sending CVs and hoping for an interview, I don't want to stagnate in the IT field. Because, maybe I'll never find a job in aviation, and I don't want to still be a tech support in 10 years. I need to act as if being an IT worker was my MAIN career.

As an IT worker, I don't like call centers. I like to be close to the hardware, working on it.

I will definitely follow your advices and do some research on the certifications you mentionned.

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    There are no guarantees, it's all about finding companies with opportunities that need your skillset. Then it's up to you to leverage that skillset for the pay you want. Trying to chase the industry for currently desired skillsets is rarely a good move, by the time you've caught up, it's moved on
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    was55amg wrote: »
    My only real passion is Aviation. Unfortunately, I can't find a job in this field, at the moment.

Don't stop on dreaming. You should visit Boeing website, and try to apply for the computer-networking jobs there, then work your way up from there and you can still get to somewhat pursue your dream there. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no real guarantee of your employer raising your salary regardless if you had a verbal agreement with your boss. However an employer should reward an employee who increases his skills set and becomes a more efficient employee. The salary increase also has to do with the state of the economy and the state of the well being of the company you work for. Sometimes it is very hard to give a well deserving employing a raise, it is even harder to see them walk away because you werent able to give them a raise. I say after a year of your new education and work improvement, ask for a raise. If they cannot help you , then you need to help yourself and move to better things.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi Daniel,

thank you so much for your input!

My only real passion is Aviation. Unfortunately, I can't find a job in this field, at the moment. I may find a job tomorrow, in 6 months, in 4 years or never. While I'm sending CVs and hoping for an interview, I don't want to stagnate in the IT field. Because, maybe I'll never find a job in aviation, and I don't want to still be a tech support in 10 years. I need to act as if being an IT worker was my MAIN career.

As an IT worker, I don't like call centers. I like to be close to the hardware, working on it.

I will definitely follow your advices and do some research on the certifications you mentionned.

Thanks a lot.
    That's wise to have a backup strategy.

If you got 4 MCP certs, try taking the exams that will push you to an MCSA or MCTS at the very least.

PS. Aviation is also my passion, by a practically random decision, I ended up in telecomms.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    There is no real guarantee of your employer raising your salary regardless if you had a verbal agreement with your boss. However an employer should reward an employee who increases his skills set and becomes a more efficient employee. The salary increase also has to do with the state of the economy and the state of the well being of the company you work for. Sometimes it is very hard to give a well deserving employing a raise, it is even harder to see them walk away because you werent able to give them a raise. I say after a year of your new education and work improvement, ask for a raise. If they cannot help you , then you need to help yourself and move to better things.
    The most reliable way to justify getting a raise is to demonstrate increased productivity for the employer.

When you come to think about it, that is the only rational justification for giving someone a raise.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    The most reliable way to justify getting a raise is to demonstrate increased productivity for the employer.

When you come to think about it, that is the only rational justification for giving someone a raise.

Big +1 here. Do your job to the best of your potential and fix your short comings. Prove to the employer that you're worth keeping around and the money will come. It won't come when you need it, but it will come when you deserve it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »

sadly rational justification doesn't guarantee an increase in salary. icon_sad.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hello boys and girls!

my last visit here was in April 2006! I'd like your advises please:

I have a 2 years Techonology Diploma in Network Administration. I Passed in 2006 my CCNA, MCP and MCSA on Windows 2000 and Comptia A+ certification.

After that, I worked for 2 years for a company based in Africa. Then I got fed up, and I had enough money to pursue my dream which was to become an airline pilot. I've done it.

Due to the way the economy is, I can't find a job as an airline pilot now, so I have decided to work as a technical support agent at IBM in Canada. Because I have not worked in the IT field since 2008, I know that I have to start at such an entry level job, and I'm getting half what I was getting before. Now I am getting 17.50$/hour.

I'd like to know what certifications, studies I could pursue so as to get back into the game, and get a salary in the range of 30$/hour? I'm ready to study anything!

Thanks guys!

Look for IT job at airline, or airline manufacturer. If you are serious about this pilot thing, then continue to pursue flying hours, so your skills don't get stale.

That's best I can advise right now.

I don't know of any ways to basically double my salary in IT, that don't require large amounts of hard work and dedication.

If you've kept your CCNA current, go for expert level in Cisco. But, I will warn you that the overall smartest thing to do would be to go for expert level in networking (regardless of vendor), which would take you a few years to get to. However, you can leverage the Cisco experience, to get into other networking companies. (For example, the first two Cisco Architects went to HP.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    thanks everyone for your comments and advices!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I doubt you'll jump from $17.50/hr to $30/hr without changing jobs, which may also include changing employers.

You won't get $30/hr as tech support either... not as Tier 1 support anyway... maybe as Tier 3 support. No amount of certs will help you make that jump without the experience to go with it.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    sadly rational justification doesn't guarantee an increase in salary. icon_sad.gif
    Life has no guarrantees...

That said, you can take actions that will improve the chances of getting a favorable outcome.