Options

Got myself a job, now what?

Mah BahlsMah Bahls Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I have been on the board for a while, and I have questions. So now I have an account also. :) Anyway, I landed myself a 6 month contract with a rather well known company where I live who will be forming a support division for Toyota TEMA.

This is a HUGE opportunity for me to get into a real career opportunity and I really don't want to screw it up. ANYWAY, to the question:

This is my first Help Desk position. I have done field work, but I primarily have freelance and educational experience. This causes a lot of questions in regards to my ability when it comes to this position. Primarily focused on corporate systems (vpn, passwords, email, etc) what should I focus on as the time counts down to my first day? This is not on-site work, it is email and phone support with L2 & L3 support above me if needed. From those of you who have experience, what skills or technologies would you consider essential for this type of position?

I may be over thinking this as it is the first time I have a career opportunity as apposed to just having a job. But any opinions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Mah Bahls wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have been on the board for a while, and I have questions. So now I have an account also. :) Anyway, I landed myself a 6 month contract with a rather well known company where I live who will be forming a support division for Toyota TEMA.

This is a HUGE opportunity for me to get into a real career opportunity and I really don't want to screw it up. ANYWAY, to the question:

This is my first Help Desk position. I have done field work, but I primarily have freelance and educational experience. This causes a lot of questions in regards to my ability when it comes to this position. Primarily focused on corporate systems (vpn, passwords, email, etc) what should I focus on as the time counts down to my first day? This is not on-site work, it is email and phone support with L2 & L3 support above me if needed. From those of you who have experience, what skills or technologies would you consider essential for this type of position?

I may be over thinking this as it is the first time I have a career opportunity as apposed to just having a job. But any opinions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Congrats on the job.

Find out what email system is used and study up on it. Majority of all help desk calls are email related so being aware of common issues and advanced settings/features will come in handy.

Also try to find out if you will be responsible for Microsoft Office issues. It can be a challenge to handle issues/questions on Excel formulas/Access/Visio/Project since most IT folks generally don't use it.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    From those of you who have experience, what skills or technologies would you consider essential for this type of position?

"Is your computer turned on?"
    "no, no, type it into the address bar, not the search bar" lol icon_sad.gif

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Primarily focused on corporate systems (vpn, passwords, email, etc) what should I focus on as the time counts down to my first day?
    Being likable. Focus on soft skills. You got the job so they must already believe in your technical skill set.
    This is not on-site work, it is email and phone support with L2 & L3 support above me if needed. From those of you who have experience, what skills or technologies would you consider essential for this type of position?
    Communication. Always let the end user know what's going on. Neglecting updates will get you into trouble more times than anything else.
    Know the policies, protocols and scope of your tasks so you don't get manipulated into doing things you ought not to do.
    Always cover your arse. Let your team leader/manager know through email CCs what's going on with things that you're not comfortable about. Always advise UPFRONT if you think timelines / goals are unreachable.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From those of you who have experience, what skills or technologies would you consider essential for this type of position?

Patience. I've been working tier 1 help desk for several months. I was excited and nervous that I wouldn't know anything and need more skills than I have.

Wrong.

The only new thing I've learned is how shockingly stupid people can be. Get used to saying the phrases, "right click," "left click," and "double click," because no one will know what just "click" or "open" means.

People will lie to you all the time, as well... get used to that one.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey guys,

Thanks

It's been said. Patience. You will need buckets of it to get through your day on helpdesk. People calling you can be difficult at times and a lot of sh1t get's thrown your way. Be professional on the telephone, supportive and friendly. Don't rush the calls, and escalate for help or put the caller on hold, politely, when you need assitance from your peers. Stick it out for six months and learn what you can in terms of coping strategies, then get out of helpdesk as fast as you can and take your coping strategies with you.