Need a wic card for my router?

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
Hi,

I have a 1760 router at home and need to connect to the internet. My internet comes from a cable modem and goes through a Belkin router. I would like to connect my cisco router to the belkin router.

Which type of interface card would I need?

Thanks.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Cable Modem probably has an Ethernet interface.....

If you want to add additional Ethernet ports to your 1760 you can add a WIC-1ENET or WIC-4ESW.

Or you can just do router-on-a-stick with the built-in Fast Ethernet port -- since it's probably going to be the router (and not the Fast Ethernet port) that will limit your Internet access speed.

The 1760 with CEF can move up to 16,000 packet per second (or about 8.19 Megabits per seconds for 64 byte IP packets). When you add real traffic with ACLs and NAT your mileage (and speed) WILL be lower.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    Hi, yes its a Ethernet interface.

Not really worried about speed as its only for test labs.

When I do router on a stick, do I plug the Belkin router to a switch and then switch to Cisco router?

Thanks
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Hi, yes its a Ethernet interface.

Not really worried about speed as its only for test labs.

When I do router on a stick, do I plug the Belkin router to a switch and then switch to Cisco router?

Thanks

To do router on a stick, you need exactly one Cisco router and one Cisco switch. You can add more variables to the equation once you get the basics down, but I would suggest that you learn to crawl before you try walking.