New to this forum and wanted to ask a question

mitsu588mitsu588 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I came across this forum through google and started to get a good feeling that everyone on this site is here to help one another out in anyway so we can all achieve that goal on getting certified.

I started to slowly change career paths from finance to IT networking. Took a couple of college courses in computer science and took a networking class but now I want to bypass it all and get either CCENT/CCNA certified.

I recently purchased the Odom's CCENT/CCNA book and started reading the first book. I still get discouraged that I won't grasp the knowledge and get overwhemled that I won't pass the test(s).

Just wanted to hear what was everyone's best way to learn all the materials and give me any pointers on helping me study and not getting discouraged upon getting my certification. Also, is it better to take one test as opposed to taking 2 tests all together? I was leaning towards getting my CCENT then my CCNA.

Thank you

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    1. Yes, this site is very encouraging. I like it.

2. Best way for me to learn is repetition. My photographic memory is still developing, LOL. So, to aid my memory, flash cards work for me.

3. Post here if you get confused on something, that's why this forum is here. A lot of people recommend to also get the Lammle book, that way, if your main book confuses you, you can look at the other text for an alternate phrasing, which might help you to understand.

4. If you're new, then you're recommended to take the two test route, the information will be in more-digestible chunks. (Irregardless, still tons of information, no matter how you slice it.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the TE forums.

+1 to instant000's post.

Just remember that there isn't anything magical about any certification -- it's just something that helps get your resume pulled from a pile and considered for an interview. It's the knowledge and skills that you've developed during your studies that helps you impress someone during a job interview and crush all your competition to get the job offer.

One advantage of continuing your education is that you may have some instructors with industry connections who may recommend you for jobs if you impress them -- and that can lead to opportunities you may not find as a new self-study CCENT/CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I recommend reading that book you bought. Try setting a goal of 15 - 30 pages a day. You may not understand all of it, but your goal is 15 - 30 pages!

When you reach the end of the chapter, try going back and seeing if you can answer the questions at the beginning of the chapter. If you are wrong on those quiz questions, find out why. Work on the memory tables.

Odom's books is great, but not perfect and barreling through the book won't get you a pass on the ICND1, ICND2, or the composite exam (640-802). If you can, get the Trainsignal or CBT nuggets CCNA videos. I used the CBT nugget videos and they really helped me understand what I had trouble understanding in the book. So barrel your way in a disciplined manner through that book (15 - 20 pages per day). Don't get hung up on the parts you don't entirely understand and DO NOT get bogged down in the details.

Do you have any lab equipment to practice with or packet tracer?

No one is going to hand this to you. You have to really want it!!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.