CCNA - What next?

DrTechDrTech Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all
I'm expecting to complete my CCNA this summer, I was wondering what anyone's thoughts are on the possible options after this.

Would it be advisable to stick to Cisco certifications, or would it be an idea to widen my horizons by twinning my CCNA with
a Microsoft certification for example?

Would this increase your value to potential employers?

icon_cool.gif

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DrTech wrote: »
    Would this increase your value to potential employers?
    It may open up more opportunities for you if you're just trying to get your start in an IT Career.

Do you have any IT experience or a current job with a shot at moving into an IT position?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It may open up more opportunities for you if you're just trying to get your start in an IT Career.

Do you have any IT experience or a current job with a shot at moving into an IT position?

After CCNA (also this summer), I wanna get MCTS. My goal is to break into the IT field.
  • lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+, N+, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA, Windows 7 & Exam 70-640 – Windows Server 2008 Active Directory and then CCNP (start it and give yourself a 1+ year goal). I think these would give you a head start.

Also reading books, articles and blogs on best practices, tips, troubleshooting.

I am kinda following these steps myself and my time to completion is about 2-3 years. Even then I would need to update my skills. That's what I love about IT you can NEVER stop learning bout technology icon_cheers.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • DrTechDrTech Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

I am working in networking for about a year now, and prior to that have several years general service desk exp. Now at this crossroads, I'm kinda interested in developing more generalist IT knowledge rather than specifically networking. What I was thinking would this lead to more opportunities/make you more marketable or would it be best to stick to the Cisco route?

Thanks for your replies btw.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    DrTech wrote: »
    I am working in networking for about a year now, and prior to that have several years general service desk exp. Now at this crossroads, I'm kinda interested in developing more generalist IT knowledge rather than specifically networking. What I was thinking would this lead to more opportunities/make you more marketable or would it be best to stick to the Cisco route?

Thanks for your replies btw.

If networking is what interests you the most I would suggest moving straight onto the CCNP.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    After your CCNA, I would push harder in the job market.

If Cisco is your thing I would say either CCNA: Security or CCNP. Probably more-so the CCNA: Security but that's just my opinion.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS