Options

Technical question

corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am using the $6.95 Tech Exam from this site and I have a question, because I can't seem to wrap my brain around a concept that's being discussed.

On page 25/163 right after the discussion about bridges, switches, routers, etc there is a diagram that shows 3 of the components working together. I'll try my best to replicate that diagram.

[WAN]
|
|
[ROUTER]
|
|
[SWITCH]
[SERVERS]
|
|
[HUB]
/ | \
[CLIENT][CLIENT][CLIENT]

My question is this: Why do you use a router and a switch in the same network? I'm trying to understand how everything works together in a network, and I'm having a hard time understanding how/why networks are set up in a particular config? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Why do you use a router and a switch in the same network?
    In the example diagram, because they provide different functions. The router connects the servers and clients (the LAN) to the WAN. That WAN can be the Internet, or another router connected to another LAN. A router is like an advanced modem, but instead of allowing remote communication between two hosts, it 'routes' traffic for entire networks, i.e. LANs. Those networks can exist of mutliple switches, hubs, servers and clients.
  • Options
    corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That makes much more sense, thanks for the reply :D