1700 Router shows 'rommon' - Can't use tftp

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
I've just picked up a router of eBay and when I turn it on it comes with the following error:

loadprog: error - program section linked to illegal address
boot: cannot load "flash:"

I searched on the internet and was told to reload the IOS on the router.

I've using TFTP and wanted to transfer the file over.

I've set the following commands:

IP_ADDRESS:192.168.2.10
IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.2.1
TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.2.4
TFTP_FILE: c1700-y-mz.120-7.t.image

When I type the command 'tftpdnld' I get the error message of 'Missing or illegal ip address for variable IP_ADDRESS
Illegal IP address.'

I've checked the IP address and also turned off DHCP server on my Belkin router but the error is still there.

I'm doing anything wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You've got the CASE SENSITIVE part right -- but to set the VARIABLE you use the equal sign on the command line.
    lon21 wrote: »
    I've set the following commands:

IP_ADDRESS:192.168.2.10
    IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.2.1
    TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.2.4
    TFTP_FILE: c1700-y-mz.120-7.t.image
    Is that the output from the set command from your router you posted? Or is it a copy and paste from a Cisco Document?

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.2.10
    Syntax: "VARIABLE_NAME=value" and use "set" to show current variables.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You've got the CASE SENSITIVE part right -- but to set the VARIABLE you use the equal sign on the command line.

Is that the output from the set command from your router you posted? Or is it a copy and paste from a Cisco Document?

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.2.10

That was the cmd which I copy and paste from HT.

I tired the '=' and it worked.

Thanks for all your help.

I thought it was going to be a door stop icon_lol.gif

Also just to add is there any way to increase the Flash memory without removing/adding hardware?

Thanks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also just to add is there any way to increase the Flash memory without removing/adding hardware?
    Probably not -- best case you'd be opening up the router to add Flash if you have a device with an open slot.

Exactly what model 1700 is it? And what's it's current memory/flash? And if it's a 1760, does it have the "32" above the Ethernet port?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187

Thanks

While you are at if you plan on upgrading the IOS you will want to look at what memory it has and see if you need to upgrade it as well.. Upgrading the flash and memory on the 1760s can cost more than the router lol
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187

Thanks

Also this is the true advantage of working with real hardware in my opinion!!! You will learn a lot that you would NEVER have had to deal with using a sim. Upgrading flash, memory, loading IOS, recovering passwords, etc etc.. You can sim some of that but I just don't think it is the same as figuring out how to get that ebayed router/switch to where you need/want it to be for your lab!! Been a lot of fun for me!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Probably not -- best case you'd be opening up the router to add Flash if you have a device with an open slot.

Exactly what model 1700 is it? And what's it's current memory/flash? And if it's a 1760, does it have the "32" above the Ethernet port?

I have a old 2620 which was replaced by the 1760, would I be able to add Flash from the 2620 to the 1760? Just a thought.

The 1760, running with 16Mb of Flash and 64Mb of flash.

Nope there no '32' above the ethernet port, if there was would it mean 32b of flash?

I have IOS version 12.3 with SP Services, would this support all the commands needed for the CCNA exam (sims)?

Thanks

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWA RE (fc3)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 24-May-05 21:32 by ssearch
    Image text-base: 0x8000816C, data-base: 0x815B5768

cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 53103K/12433K bytes of memo ry.
    Processor board ID FOC06500X7R (3825040326), with hardware revision BB67
    MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

geek4god wrote: »
    Also this is the true advantage of working with real hardware in my opinion!!! You will learn a lot that you would NEVER have had to deal with using a sim. Upgrading flash, memory, loading IOS, recovering passwords, etc etc.. You can sim some of that but I just don't think it is the same as figuring out how to get that ebayed router/switch to where you need/want it to be for your lab!! Been a lot of fun for me!

Totally agree, the real stuff is always more fun. It makes the entire course come to life.

My room sounds like a mini air Jet :D
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Thanks

If you don't have enough flash but you have plenty of RAM, you could always boot from tftp:

Code for booting the system from the TFTP server | TechRepublic
  • civokrukcivokruk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi to All
    I have an old 1700 router that I am using for training. Yesterday I tried to copy the flash to tftp and from tftp to flash. I did confirm to erase the IOS before installing it again. I was very surprised to see that the same IOS couldn't be restored to the router. Please see below for explanation.
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C1700 platform with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number
    boot: cannot open "flash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

device does not contain a valid magic number
    boot: cannot open "flash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

rommon 1 >

I followed the steps to set an IP to load from TFTP server however it did not work. I typed reset in rommon 7 and now this the terminal screen looks like this

��G��;��9���#?B0�s��9c�M��
    B�;Z�B9������(��!�7���WH�D��;���҈"aBd��+xр����"�� �

I need help to restore the IOS and to have my router up and running again. Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks again
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    civokruk wrote: »
    I followed the steps to set an IP to load from TFTP server however it did not work. I typed reset in rommon 7 and now this the terminal screen looks like this

��G��;��9���#?B0�s��9c�M��
    B�;Z�B9������(��!�7���WH�D��;���҈"aBd��+xр����"�� �

I need help to restore the IOS and to have my router up and running again. Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks again

That output looks like either a memory error or you don't have your terminal program set to the same baud rate as the router. I've seen the "magic number" error a lot lately while trying to go through different ram modules (2 of the 4 ended up being defective). Not sure what else might be happening.

*I would double check your baud (speed) rate on whatever terminal program you're using. If it's not at 9600, try that, if it is, try cycling through the other values. I believe 9600 is default, so when you reset the router, if you had previously been using a different value, it may have defaulted back to 9600. As for loading the IOS, I'd try to tftpdnld it again through rommon and then post a new thread with exactly what errors you get.
  • civokrukcivokruk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    That output looks like either a memory error or you don't have your terminal program set to the same baud rate as the router. I've seen the "magic number" error a lot lately while trying to go through different ram modules (2 of the 4 ended up being defective). Not sure what else might be happening.

*I would double check your baud (speed) rate on whatever terminal program you're using. If it's not at 9600, try that, if it is, try cycling through the other values. I believe 9600 is default, so when you reset the router, if you had previously been using a different value, it may have defaulted back to 9600. As for loading the IOS, I'd try to tftpdnld it again through rommon and then post a new thread with exactly what errors you get.

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to reset the baud rate to the point where I no longer have the garbage. I am back to the rommon1>
    I did set the IP and subnet mask, set the target file and the target machine over it is taking me the a very long process of steps rommon12> I am following a post from the internet. Could you please help me with the steps. As I mentioned before I am learning I am not yet there.
    Best regards
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    civokruk wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. I was able to reset the baud rate to the point where I no longer have the garbage. I am back to the rommon1>
    I did set the IP and subnet mask, set the target file and the target machine over it is taking me the a very long process of steps rommon12> I am following a post from the internet. Could you please help me with the steps. As I mentioned before I am learning I am not yet there.
    Best regards

Just follow the steps above and post what errors you might have. When you get into rommon, you need to issue the commands to set the ip address, tftp server ip address and the file, once that's done, it should be a simple matter of using the tftpdnld command to transfer the ios. If you are having errors or problems, post back specifically what you are doing and what the results are and I'm sure we'll all be happy to help.