Options

Quit my job today, where to from here?

bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
Hello all,

I resigned from my waiting job today. Before you judge me, here is where I'm at:

1. My fiancee and I have saved up about ~$10,000 over the past few months, knowing that this was almost certainly an inevitability.

2. I live in Texas, where the recession isn't hitting *quite* so hard, so there are still jobs available.

3. My job was not allowing me to get in study time. I promise this is not simply whining on my part; I honestly was so tired after running all day long that I would typically come home and waste 1-2 hours winding down, at which time it was almost time to go to bed and start all over again.

I think the biggest reason was #3, as I feel like I am stagnating. I have my B.S. in Psychology (yeah, I know) from a brick and mortar, but have done nothing to show for going to school. My A+ exam is scheduled for Monday, and I have done some of the CCNA Netacad courses at the local community college.

Ok, now that the background is over, here are my questions to you:

1. What is my play from here? I know I need to revamp my resume with a quickness, but what else?

2. I already have my A+ scheduled/paid for. In your opinion, what should my next cert be? I am pretty close to done for the Network+, I have Darril's book for the Security+, I have Labsim for the CCNA/Linux+ (also the Odom bibles for the CCNA). I could actually probably take the CCENT with a couple of weeks of study. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.

3. I realize that outright resigning was probably a stupid thing to do, but my reasoning was this: This waiting job was totally unrelated to what I want to be doing, and my boss typically doesn't really accept notice anyway (kind of a jerk). Plus, the biggest reason of all: I WAS STAGNATING. I probably would have stayed there for months more, not having time to do what I need to do to start a career. How should I relay to an interviewer that I am not a bad guy/I am reliable? I worked that dead-end job for 3 years and change, and just couldn't do it anymore.

4. Any resume tips? I was already planning on doing a functional resume that highlights skills and education over work history (for obvious reasons).

5. I'm planning on sending my resume to some of the staffing agencies, such as TEKsystems and Robert Half. Comments or feedback?

Thank you in advance for all your help. To be honest, if I did not have Techexams as a resource, I would not be nearly as well off as I am today, and might not have made this bold move.

Adam

Comments

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Well first thing that comes to my mind is , they would not let you just cut your hours back a little? its good to have something coming in but if your comfortable not having income as it seems then no worries.

If I was you after I passed the A+ I would shoot for CCNET. The N+ is not worth it in MY opinion but I am sure others would disagree and have had success with it. Next since you got some free time while you are studying for certs , check around town see if you can volunteer anywhere or maybe even shadow some people on a local biz's IT department. You need to start acquiring IT experience to place on your resume with your certs even if its unpaid.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't want to be a downer but here is my opinion.

I have a two year degree, I have a CCENT/CCNA, I'm an Apple Certified Associate, I have other certs like a Routing and Switching certs from my local technical college. I live in South Carolina, and there are a lot of CCNAs here, so I can only imagine Texas. You need something other than a piece of paper to distinguish yourself from the field. Unfortunately brain dumping has almost ruined the certification industry. Everyone is assumed guilty unfortunately. I am not bashing certifications, the best thing you can do is get your certifcations. Some of these people get weeded out in interviews, some don't. There are braindumpers at my current place of employment. What you need to work on, and what every IT person needs to work on, is people skills and interview skills. You need to blow them away in your interview, you need them to remember your name. This is very hard for IT people in general being somewhat anti-social, but you have to be able to do this. Every 18 year old kid has a certifcation now. The A+ is ok to get a certification under your belt, but the best thing it's going to land you is a job at a PC repair shop, and that's about it. If anyone is telling you that you are going to break the bank with a CCNA they are wrong. I make around 45k a year with a degree, numerous certifications, and experience. I am working on my bachelors and continuing with Cisco stuff. I am going full blast for my CCIE, it's the only certification where you can walk into an office and say I'm here to interview you, your not interviewing me. I'm going to tell you if your company deserves to have an employee like me. Tell me about your company.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If an entry level IT job is not possible try to get a job in a call center. It's a good transition job to help desk that provides phone experience. It's not a fun job but should lead to better things.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Repo Man wrote: »
    If an entry level IT job is not possible try to get a job in a call center. It's a good transition job to help desk that provides phone experience. It's not a fun job but should lead to better things.

at my help desk job, they like people with call center experience
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello all,

I resigned from my waiting job today. Before you judge me, here is where I'm at:

1. My fiancee and I have saved up about ~$10,000 over the past few months, knowing that this was almost certainly an inevitability.

What is your cost of living per month. 10k is an impressive amount but it certainly won't last forever. I hope you took that into consideration.
    2. I live in Texas, where the recession isn't hitting *quite* so hard, so there are still jobs available.

But are you qualified for them? Why didn't you try to secure new employment before leaving your job? Were things really that bad.

3. My job was not allowing me to get in study time. I promise this is not simply whining on my part; I honestly was so tired after running all day long that I would typically come home and waste 1-2 hours winding down, at which time it was almost time to go to bed and start all over again.

So you quit because they wouldn't pay you to study? I am sorry but that is a pretty much most IT jobs and jobs in general. People pay you to work, not study. Study on your lunch break, wake up an hour earlier or study hard on the weekends. Besides some callcenters (probably mostly inbound) and some nocs, study time isn't a part of the equation

I think the biggest reason was #3, as I feel like I am stagnating. I have my B.S. in Psychology (yeah, I know) from a brick and mortar, but have done nothing to show for going to school. My A+ exam is scheduled for Monday, and I have done some of the CCNA Netacad courses at the local community college.

1. What is my play from here? I know I need to revamp my resume with a quickness, but what else?

Start networking (in person and via sites like linkedin). You absolutely have to start building your contacts so you have more targets (jobs) to shoot for.
    2. I already have my A+ scheduled/paid for. In your opinion, what should my next cert be? I am pretty close to done for the Network+, I have Darril's book for the Security+, I have Labsim for the CCNA/Linux+ (also the Odom bibles for the CCNA). I could actually probably take the CCENT with a couple of weeks of study. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.

What did you do in your last job? Try to certify in what you have experience. That will probably give you the most bang for buck. Microsoft has several specials on certs right now ranging from free to about 60 bucks for students. If you still have access to your student email......
    3. I realize that outright resigning was probably a stupid thing to do, but my reasoning was this: This waiting job was totally unrelated to what I want to be doing, and my boss typically doesn't really accept notice anyway (kind of a jerk). Plus, the biggest reason of all: I WAS STAGNATING. I probably would have stayed there for months more, not having time to do what I need to do to start a career. How should I relay to an interviewer that I am not a bad guy/I am reliable? I worked that dead-end job for 3 years and change, and just couldn't do it anymore.

You worked there for 3 years? Doing what? Generally employees like to hire people who are employed (it shows that they are employable lol). I would tread lightly on the why of you leaving and talk more about your experience.
    4. Any resume tips? I was already planning on doing a functional resume that highlights skills and education over work history (for obvious reasons).

Search this forum there are a few good post that come up every week.
    5. I'm planning on sending my resume to some of the staffing agencies, such as TEKsystems and Robert Half. Comments or feedback?

I have worked with all of those staffing agencies and a few other ones. TBH it varies from person to person but generally I have had a terrible go with RHT. Teksystems has been my most successful partnership.

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know it is late to point this out, but where was this post a week ago before you quit your job? If it were me, I'd already have a map planned out before cutting the income.

That being said, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. None of us can answer this. What do you want to do, where do you want to be? What are you willing to do to get there? A+ is a good start and certifications will help you get a job in IT, but experience counts more than paper. Find a somewhat related job and hop in.

2. Security+ is a good tool to have, and Darril's book is a good way to get there. I have a net+ and found the material interesting. The knowledge has definitely helped me in my career path, but I'm not sure the paper carries any weight. This goes back to #1, what do you want to be?

3. I agree with you here, walking away from a job isn't a great thing to do. I worked for 3 years at a job I hated because it paid the bills while I put myself through school. It had nothing to do with IT, I hated my bosses and hated going to work. But school and certifications require money so I kept with it. Only leaving after I had accepted another job.

4. If you have the experience, it comes first. If you don't (and it doesn't sound like you do) get that education up on top. Work history needs to be included, but it should be farther down. Even holding a non IT job for a length of time tells a story about you. Having lapses in employment can also tell a story, although that one isn't such a positive one.

5. Sounds like a good plan. These consulting companies can help you get your foot in the door, but don't send off your resumes and wait. These companies get paid when they fill positions. To them, it doesn't matter if they fill a position with you or with someone else. So get in contact with them but do your own searching as well.

I hope that helps you out.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    at my help desk job, they like people with call center experience

+1
    I have seen a lot of entry level and help desk jobs that basically require some sort of call center experience.

My belief is that you can easily train tech skills, but it’s a lot harder to try train a technician proper customer service skills. I could be wrong…

My advice is first off go to your college and have them critique you resume. Your resume needs to be 100% error free, before sending this out to anyone!! Also, work on creating a Cover letter template that is 100% error free.

Third, make sure list any jobs you held that were a customer service role. Your resume should scream customer service/ tech support. A lot of these help desk jobs and support jobs have recruiter looking for people with customer service experience, and they will stress this more than the tech skills. This has been my experience.

Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What did you do in your last job?
    I resigned from my waiting job today.

Waiting? As in waiting on tables at a restaurant?

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you can start an IT career with just people skills and a smile. The trick is to avoid the dead end read from a script help desk jobs that have no chance for advancement. A basic read from a script job (where you want to slash your wrists with a spork after the first couple of months) at a company that does have job growth potential is something you might have to put up with if you don't have IT experience and/or other IT knowledge and skills (or education and/or certifications). And BIG SURPRISE -- even with education and certifications, you may still have to start with a "slash your wrist job" if you can't find someone and convince them to give you a shot at something better.

Let's see. Education -- a B.S. in Psych is nothing to sneeze at -- so check. How far did you get in the Cisco Network Academy program? Is finishing that (and impressing the instructor enough to get a job recommendation) a possibility?

Certifications -- work in progress. The A+ puts one in the win column. If the Network+ is a no-brainer for you, it's probably worth the cost for the easy resume candy -- plus studying for it will refresh some of that Network Academy information and help build a solid foundation for your future CCENT/CCNA (if it turns out you do possess the Cisco Networking Gene).

Experience -- um, people and customer service skills, so BIG CHECK. It's easier (and a lot more pleasant) to teach some basic techie skills to someone who already has people skills then to try and teach basic people skills to an unwashed techno-dweeb.

The more experience, education, and certifications you have to go along with your people skills (and networking skills and some luck) the more (and better) IT career opportunities you should be able to find.

Your plan for signing up with the temp agencies is a good one if you can get some gigs to start adding some relevant IT experience to your resume. Even being just another temporary warm body to fetch and carry during a company move/relocation could give you a chance to peek behind the curtain and get a better idea about IT departments that could help you talk the talk better during future job interviews.

But remember that there is nothing magical about certifications. They can be useful for getting your resume pulled from a pile (and filling in a check box on some HR wonks hiring form), but its the knowledge and skills you bring to the interview that can get you the job. So working on some entry level certification (hopefully in between some temp jobs) is okay to do for a bit, but you may also want to start looking for that elusive first real IT job NOW so that you can start building up some real IT work experience and start working your way up the career ladder.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    When leaving one job for another, you will get asked why you're looking for a new job. It's easier to explain why you're leaving, than it is to explain why you left and had no job for however long it takes you to get responses to your resume.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So you quit because they wouldn't pay you to study? I am sorry but that is a pretty much most IT jobs and jobs in general. People pay you to work, not study. Study on your lunch break, wake up an hour earlier or study hard on the weekends.

Generally true. But, my company kind of encourages it, during periods of dead time. In fact, obtaining certs or college credits is a major component of our annual evals.

Naturally if you have work you need to get done and you're studying, that's a big nono. Customer happiness is even a bigger component...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You sure are ballsy to quit a job with the hopes of finding another soon in an industry you have zero experience in....in this economy, with an upcoming marriage to possibly pay for?

I left a job, moved was out of work for 4 months before I landed another. And this was in 2008 before the economy officially tanked, in a state that was better off than most. I blew through all my savings, because I was overly confident that I would land something quick with the initial wave of interviews.

Don't waste a moment of time you have right now. Good luck.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Waiting? As in waiting on tables at a restaurant?

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you can start an IT career with just people skills and a smile. The trick is to avoid the dead end read from a script help desk jobs that have no chance for advancement. A basic read from a script job (where you want to slash your wrists with a spork after the first couple of months) at a company that does have job growth potential is something you might have to put up with if you don't have IT experience and/or other IT knowledge and skills (or education and/or certifications). And BIG SURPRISE -- even with education and certifications, you may still have to start with a "slash your wrist job" if you can't find someone and convince them to give you a shot at something better.

Let's see. Education -- a B.S. in Psych is nothing to sneeze at -- so check. How far did you get in the Cisco Network Academy program? Is finishing that (and impressing the instructor enough to get a job recommendation) a possibility?

Certifications -- work in progress. The A+ puts one in the win column. If the Network+ is a no-brainer for you, it's probably worth the cost for the easy resume candy -- plus studying for it will refresh some of that Network Academy information and help build a solid foundation for your future CCENT/CCNA (if it turns out you do possess the Cisco Networking Gene).

Experience -- um, people and customer service skills, so BIG CHECK. It's easier (and a lot more pleasant) to teach some basic techie skills to someone who already has people skills then to try and teach basic people skills to an unwashed techno-dweeb.

The more experience, education, and certifications you have to go along with your people skills (and networking skills and some luck) the more (and better) IT career opportunities you should be able to find.

Your plan for signing up with the temp agencies is a good one if you can get some gigs to start adding some relevant IT experience to your resume. Even being just another temporary warm body to fetch and carry during a company move/relocation could give you a chance to peek behind the curtain and get a better idea about IT departments that could help you talk the talk better during future job interviews.

But remember that there is nothing magical about certifications. They can be useful for getting your resume pulled from a pile (and filling in a check box on some HR wonks hiring form), but its the knowledge and skills you bring to the interview that can get you the job. So working on some entry level certification (hopefully in between some temp jobs) is okay to do for a bit, but you may also want to start looking for that elusive first real IT job NOW so that you can start building up some real IT work experience and start working your way up the career ladder.

Mike, thanks for your reply; it's a little more glass half-full than the others, and I really appreciate that. Contrary to what some of the other posters would assume, I am not an idiot. My job really was that bad; money has been steadily declining for a while now (around $10 an hour), to the point where I believe I would be better off even just working for Geek Squad (though I hear that can be pretty terrible as well).

I will be working on my resume tonight, and will probably post it so as to be critiqued.

I know I may have to start at a "slash my wrists" type job at first, and that is OK by me, as long as I'm starting on something. Everyone is downing me for my choice, but in the end I will be happier for having done this, and you only live once. I have been stuck in that job for much longer than I ever would have projected; I am intelligent, educated, and have a ton of potential/self-confidence. If I would have stayed there, I would probably be in the same place next year, and would be going out of my mind.

Anyway, thank you Mike for being positive.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Economy isn't so bad everywhere. The company I'm with currently has 18 openings.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wont judge you on the desicion you made. You made it, it happened, you cant change it. I did the same thing last year and was only unemployed for two months. I quit because if I didnt, I would still be in the retail industry and not IT, it forced me to change. I would take a serious look at going for a bachlors in some type of IT field. Some will disagree and yes you can get a decent job without a degree but the fact is that most places will want a degree supplemented with certs. Like was said earlier I would look for something in a call center or a monitoring center. After I quit, I got a job in a NOC and out of my 8 hours a day only about 3 hours of it was work, the rest I spent my time studying. Stay in the NOC or call center for about a year and start looking for something better. You are going to have to work on it but I'm sure you will have no problem. Congratulations on taking a BOLD step towards what you what out of your career and good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks Nick, I appreciate the kind words. That was what I was going for, a bold lifestyle change. My new full-time job is to immerse myself in technology, and to find a job that will utilize my talents better.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Hey man bold changes make things happen! I left the U.S. learned a new language and pursued my passion in that new language! Anythings possible with a lot of determination and a little luck.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello all,

Thank you in advance for all your help. To be honest, if I did not have Techexams as a resource, I would not be nearly as well off as I am today, and might not have made this bold move.

Adam

Your savings will soon be decimated if you dont have any income. I suggest you pick up some part time non IT type work for starters because even a couple of hundred bucks coming in will pay for some shopping and defend your savings pot.

As for the IT job front, plan to be back in work asap but be prepared for it to take 6 months to do so. Make sure your finances can stretch to that including credit facilities. Avoid any major purchases right now, that includes college fees. Spend some time researching all possible outlets for IT employment, brush up your CV, then hit the boards and call the agents. Also cold call local companies. Stay motivated.

Be sure to get any experience you have down on your CV and dont get hung up on the reasons why you left, it's done now. After calls with agents or interviews think about what you were asked so you can formulate a better response for future calls. Thats what I do sometimes and it seems to work.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to sincerely complement you on quitting a dead-end job. Many people are stuck but never find the courage to take the steps necessary to change their lives for the better. You however recognized that you want change and are willing to take risks. Congratulations!

As for your next steps, I think the CCNA provides very good "bang for the buck". As said before it will not break the bank but it will allow you to make a decent salary. Don't forget that it's meant to be a starting point in Cisco networking.

When it comes to jobs try to find something IT related that will put some money in your pocket. It doesn't have to be a great full-time job but I think it will make your resume look a lot better if you are a) not unemployed and b) show that you have already made the first (however little) step into the IT world.

I wish you the best of luck. You have shown courage so there will be good things to come!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    lordy wrote: »
    I want to sincerely complement you on quitting a dead-end job. Many people are stuck but never find the courage to take the steps necessary to change their lives for the better. You however recognized that you want change and are willing to take risks. Congratulations!

As for your next steps, I think the CCNA provides very good "bang for the buck". As said before it will not break the bank but it will allow you to make a decent salary. Don't forget that it's meant to be a starting point in Cisco networking.

When it comes to jobs try to find something IT related that will put some money in your pocket. It doesn't have to be a great full-time job but I think it will make your resume look a lot better if you are a) not unemployed and b) show that you have already made the first (however little) step into the IT world.

I wish you the best of luck. You have shown courage so there will be good things to come!

Some good advice from Germany.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    lordy wrote: »

I agree, congratulations!

Though, I too would recommend to have a job(any type) by the end of the day, today! Deliver Pizza, shovel fries, basic tech at a store/ even part-time.

I think you will find that having even something to do for a few hours a week will be a great benefit and if the job really stinks...motivation to use your study hours wisely.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Thanks Nick, I appreciate the kind words. That was what I was going for, a bold lifestyle change. My new full-time job is to immerse myself in technology, and to find a job that will utilize my talents better.

Cant make an omelet with out breaking an egg...one of my personal favorites icon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Economy isn't so bad everywhere. The company I'm with currently has 18 openings.

I agree. We've got probably close to 100 openings company wide, between all of our sites. Some of those positions have been available for six months. Our problem is finding qualified candidates instead of a bunch of pretenders with souped up resumes.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Commendable courage. You'll never advance if you don't step out of your comfort zone. Plan properly and execute correctly will get you to the destination you want!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the kind words everyone, I greatly appreciate it. I know it is stupid to not have a job, but I also know in my heart that this was the correct choice for me personally at this time. Good things will come of this. I had to jump in the deep end and learn to swim. Geek Squad may be in my future, but at least I'll have my hands on a computer, and get some experience for my resume. I've actually spotted many help desk/NOC jobs in the DFW area, so things are looking up.

I worked on my resume over the weekend, and plan to begin shooting it out Monday with a vengeance. I am also sitting both of my A+ tests on Monday (I'm pretty confident; already listed it on the resume, so that I will waste no time on Monday after my test!). Bought a voucher for the Network+, and will take that in about a week as well.

I would like some constructive criticism on my resume. Feel free to nit pick, though overall I like what I've come up with. My one qualm is that I feel like I need a section for "Nonprofessional Experience" with computers/operating systems, because I want to show that I can thrive in a troubleshooting environment. Thoughts? Opinions? Again, your time as a community of peers is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would like some constructive criticism on my resume.
    I quite liked it. The impression it left me with was that the author is a go-getter with an easygoing personality. And really, that's what matters most for entry-level jobs - positive attitude, friendliness, and ability to learn fast. If you've got that, they will gladly hire and teach you the rest of technical stuff.

A few comments on the resume:

1) Dates in the Education section are not aligned consistently, may want to fix it

2) "Software:MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, Notepad++"
    I'd replace with
    "Software:MS Office suite"

3) "Networking:Cisco routing/switching configuration, subnetting, VLSM, VLAN administration, Cat 5/5e/6 cabling, SOHO network administration/setup"
    I'd get rid of "subnetting, VLSM,"

4) Change layout, it can fit on a single page nicely

5) Are you ready to back up "Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS" statement? By no means I'm discouraging you from listing them, just be prepared to answer questions about differences between the two (Ubuntu & CentOS) distros, package management, and elaborate on your experience with Linux.

6) Are there other keywords you can add to the skills section comfortably? e.g. Wireless, TCP/IP, printers/scanners?

Best of luck to you! Great job on this bold move!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    I quite liked it. The impression it left me with was that the author is a go-getter with an easygoing personality. And really, that's what matters most for entry-level jobs - positive attitude, friendliness, and ability to learn fast. If you've got that, they will gladly hire and teach you the rest of technical stuff.

A few comments on the resume:

1) Dates in the Education section are not aligned consistently, may want to fix it

2) "Software:MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, Notepad++"
    I'd replace with
    "Software:MS Office suite"

3) "Networking:Cisco routing/switching configuration, subnetting, VLSM, VLAN administration, Cat 5/5e/6 cabling, SOHO network administration/setup"
    I'd get rid of "subnetting, VLSM,"

4) Change layout, it can fit on a single page nicely

5) Are you ready to back up "Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS" statement? By no means I'm discouraging you from listing them, just be prepared to answer questions about differences between the two (Ubuntu & CentOS) distros, package management, and elaborate on your experience with Linux.

6) Are there other keywords you can add to the skills section comfortably? e.g. Wireless, TCP/IP, printers/scanners?

Best of luck to you! Great job on this bold move!

Thanks for the input, a few questions/comments about your comments:

1. I aligned them on the right side of the page, so I guess that was wrong? I don't have a ton of experience with resumes lol....

2. I totally agree with you, I thought of that myself, just didn't go with my gut. Will change it back.

3. Also agree.

4. I don't know at all how to make that work.... Maybe less spacing between the sections? I already have the font on 11, so I don't know if I can go lower and still have it be comfortable to read.

5. My thing with listing Linux is that, although I am not 100% command-line genie, I am comfortable with the look and feel of a Linux box, i.e. where things are, basic administration, etc. I listed those distributions because they are the ones I have come in contact with. I know Ubuntu is more of a consumer-oriented Debian distro, and CentOS is essentially compiled straight from the RedHat binaries and distributed freely.... Package managers are things like yum and apt if I'm correct (which I'm probably not).

6. I could probably add Wireless, TCP/IP, and OSI if I wanted to list some more things on there. As far as printers, I know the basics that you learn from A+, so if you think that is enough to merit putting it on there, then that's good enough for me.

Again, thanks so much for looking over my resume; it's very helpful to have another set of eyes on it! I was wondering what y'all though of putting some kind of "Non-professional computer experience" section on there? This would be a section to list specific abilities, such as Windows User Account control, building computers, setting up home networks, etc. Is this a good idea, or am I overthinking this?
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1. I aligned them on the right side of the page
    That would be right. These date lines looked skewed on my screen - perhaps difference in Office versions or some settings.
    4. I don't know at all how to make that work.... Maybe less spacing between the sections? I already have the font on 11, so I don't know if I can go lower and still have it be comfortable to read.
    Try playing around with the actual layout. Here's a sample of a radically different layout to give you some ideas:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/65299-i-can-haz-resume.html
    5. My thing with listing Linux is that, although I am not 100% command-line genie, I am comfortable with the look and feel of a Linux box, i.e. where things are, basic administration, etc. I listed those distributions because they are the ones I have come in contact with. I know Ubuntu is more of a consumer-oriented Debian distro, and CentOS is essentially compiled straight from the RedHat binaries and distributed freely.... Package managers are things like yum and apt if I'm correct (which I'm probably not).
    You got all of that right, sir icon_thumright.gif
    6. I could probably add Wireless, TCP/IP, and OSI if I wanted to list some more things on there. As far as printers, I know the basics that you learn from A+, so if you think that is enough to merit putting it on there, then that's good enough for me.
    If you installed drivers for a printer at least several times on different platforms (e.g. Windows XP/7), and know how to replace a toner, that should qualify. I assume that you are aiming at helpdesk/tech.support roles and peripherals support is a typical duty for these positions. And things I mentioned are just some examples to show that likely you can put a few more buzzwords on the paper to beef it up.
    Again, thanks so much for looking over my resume; it's very helpful to have another set of eyes on it!
    No worries, hope it all works out for you.
    I was wondering what y'all though of putting some kind of "Non-professional computer experience" section on there? This would be a section to list specific abilities, such as Windows User Account control, building computers, setting up home networks, etc. Is this a good idea, or am I overthinking this?
    Most certainly, I think having that experience listed can make the difference for your resume. And if you want to save space, just put it under Experience or Skills section.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your search! I found myself in a similar boat in April. Disliked my job at the time but always had a passion for networking, so when I made the decision to switch careers, I jumped in leaving a job of 6 years.

A friend of mine has been looking for a job for quite awhile, he has a Master's degree in his field and was offered a job with a decent salary. But he absolutely knew he would hate it. A lot of people gave him crap for it but given the uncertainy in the economy, it takes cojones to do what is best for you and yours. It is understandable that people worry about the future, especially finding that perfect job (or even just a job). But when that worry chains you to your current job then you become not only financially, but emotionally dependent on a job that you hate.

That is a scary place to be in.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You only quit from a restaurant job, I don't think anyone in their right mind can really say that was a horrible thing to do. When I started reading this thread I thought you quit a job that might have actually been worth keeping, so I assume the others leaving less than positive remarks probably made the same assumption.

Just remember $10k in the bank isn't much at all when you're unemployed so you should be working 40 hours a week towards finding a new job. Don't slack off because every day you aren't working is a day you'll have to explain in an interview why you have that gap in your work history.

Good luck on the career move, I did the same myself but made far more reckless decisions along the way. As long as you keep a positive attitude and don't get lazy during your time off you should be okay. Just keep a careful eye on your savings because for most people $10k is far less than the 6-9 month worth of savings recommended by most financial advisers.
  • Options
    astrogeek wrote: »
    You only quit from a restaurant job, I don't think anyone in their right mind can really say that was a horrible thing to do. When I started reading this thread I thought you quit a job that might have actually been worth keeping, so I assume the others leaving less than positive remarks probably made the same assumption.

Just remember $10k in the bank isn't much at all when you're unemployed so you should be working 40 hours a week towards finding a new job. Don't slack off because every day you aren't working is a day you'll have to explain in an interview why you have that gap in your work history.

Good luck on the career move, I did the same myself but made far more reckless decisions along the way. As long as you keep a positive attitude and don't get lazy during your time off you should be okay. Just keep a careful eye on your savings because for most people $10k is far less than the 6-9 month worth of savings recommended by most financial advisers.

Yes and I advise again. You should try and pick up some parttime work doing anything to get a few bucks in each week and protect those hard earned savings you have. They soon deplete and take a lot of earning again.