Options

Migrating GPO's accross domains (quick question)

Hi all,

So I was able to get my GPO and back it up and all that nice jazz with GPMC 32 bit on my laptop. However, I do not have a laptop or any machine that logs on through the other forests and all the servers are 64 bit (server 2003) which means I cannot use GPMC to import the GPO that I have.

Is their any option for me? I guess I can add my laptop to the each domain and do it that way but thats a lot of hassle for just one GPO. Is their an easier way?

Comments

• Options
    Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Need a little more info on what you're using and trying to accomplish. Is this a lab? Working environment? VPC?

Do you have to import the GPO to the new domains? If the domains are in the same forest, you should be able to just link to the GPO in the original domain. I don't think this is a best practice though...
  • Options
    This is a little beyond my level of training but maybe someone else can expand. The version of GPMC that ships with Win7 and Server 2008 R2 should work with 64 bit.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Shadly1 wrote: »
    Need a little more info on what you're using and trying to accomplish. Is this a lab? Working environment? VPC?

Do you have to import the GPO to the new domains? If the domains are in the same forest, you should be able to just link to the GPO in the original domain. I don't think this is a best practice though...

This is a development environment.

I should have said its 4 forests not domains my error. I understand I can link them if they are in the same forest but these are not. I have the GPO backed up and ready to do its just a problem with 64 bit.

Microsoft does not have a 64 bit GPMC client only 32 bit.

EDIT

Looks like I will pull out my old 32 bit XP laptop that has GPMC on it and just join it to the other forests / domains. Or create a VM on each forest.
  • Options
    I was going by this. Apparently, the 32 bit GMPC for Win7 or Server 2008 R2 is a workaround for this problem.

gpmc on 2003 R2 x64
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    thanks for the link. Now when I try to join my laptop to the other domains /forests I get endpoint mapper issues. Just not my day lol.

EDIT

Problem Solved :)