Options

Not sure if this "Field Service Technician" job is right for me...

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I apologize for the long post, but I really need some guidance here...

Since I've gotten my Bachelor's in IT Engineering and A+ certification (Network+ exam tomorrow), I've been applying to a ton of places online, mostly throughout the D.C. metro area, as I kind of hate Florida and was looking to get away, but I'm realizing now how hard it is to even get an interview for anything.

I had a recruiter call me for a job in Florida, about 30 minutes away. All I was really told was that it's a "Desktop Support" job, 6 month contract to perm for $20 an hour, and that there will be times where I will have to work at night, and even get a hotel for travel and I will be reimbursed. I said I was interested, to get more information, and had the phone interview with 2 people. They basically said that I'd be working on the Florida turnpike (major Florida Highway) and doing stuff with the highway cameras, traffic loops, and things like that. I told them that it didn't sound like the "Desktop Support" job that I'm familiar with, but that I was still possibly interested. Since I wasn't sure I wanted the job, I didn't try to sell myself, so I told them I really don't have that much experience for what they want, but he said as long as I'm willing to learn I will have mentors.

A day after the interview, the recruiter calls me and said that they are officially offering me the job. I declined to her and said I felt it wasn't a match. She seemed a little ticked (obviously, being a recruiter I'm sure she gets something if I take the job). She called me again today, asking me to call her back to go over more details.

Anyways, I don't know what to do... The money is good, but I kind of wanted a job where I could go to work at a certain time - preferrable morning to evening, then come home and relax, not stay in a hotel after working from 8pm to 5am. I mostly wanted something on site too. I feel I'm most likely going to get a job at a $14 per hour level, if at all.

I'm not even sure what kind of job I want in IT now and the future. I do know that giving phone support (Help Desk) is something that doesn't appeal to me at all because I hate being put on the spot and I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't know the solution to the problem. I was looking more for a job that's on-site and you physically walk to the client's cubicle/office and troubleshoot their problem, or repair systems at a bench or something.

My ultimate goal in life is to be a Network Admin, as I find networks fascinating (although my experience and education seems below what it should be currently) or Help Desk Manager, or something of that sort.

I guess my question is, should I take this job and see how it is? Does it sound like, hey, I have to start somewhere, and maybe it will help me climb up the ladder and give me experience to move up in the field? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as this would be what I call my first "real" job.

Also, I found this on the company's site which sounds like the job they were offering (although not called Desktop Support like the recruiter said). If I were to have seen this online like this, I would never apply to it just because it sounds like I have no experience in any of it, and maybe a little theoretical experience in some areas:

Field Service Technician

Job Description Summary:
Position requires a responsible, reliable and quick-to-respond technical professional to provide varied maintenance duties for transportation systems. Installs, checks out, operates, maintains, repairs, and modifies equipment. Implements preventive maintenance process and keeps performance and maintenance records on equipment. Additionally, participates in the initial installation phase of a project.

Functional Description:
Performs routine duties in the electronic, mechanical, electromechanical, or optical areas. Calibrates, adjusts, tests, and maintains equipment, components, devices, or systems. Works from written or verbal instructions. May operate equipment; perform limited amount of troubleshooting and well defined problem identification; perform calibration and alignment checks, reporting data in prescribed format.

Must have a good knowledge of the following equipment: DVOM (Digital Volt-Ohm Meter), Oscilloscopes, Amp-Probes and Communication Break-out Boxes. Must be familiar with Logic pulsers and probes, Communication protocol analyzers, LAN Sniffers, Power Quality Monitors and Computer Based Testing (Checkit). Should possess a mechanical aptitude towards using hand tools to include, but not limited to: drill motors, band saws, screw drivers (manual and electric), hammer drills, and crimpers.

Fulfills work orders/service calls to install, maintains and/or repairs traffic loops, Cameras, video systems, computer equipment and peripherals, including, but not limited to the following:
Troubleshoots hardware, software, and/or network operating problems. Uses basic and specialized test equipment to diagnose and analyze difficulties.

May troubleshoot related communications problems; e.g., in a LAN environment, applying a knowledge of wiring, standard cable connections and wire closets/MAUs. Takes appropriate corrective action, interfacing with vendor, carrier, client and ACS’ staff as necessary.

Performs preventive hardware maintenance, replacement and repair (to sub-assembly/ component level) of video components, microprocessor components, peripherals and associated/designated communications and information management equipment. Majority of work is completed at roadside locations adjacent to traffic intersections.
Sets up, assembles, installs, configures, reconfigures, modifies, moves and/or relocates hardware/software at Traffic Equipment site locations. Ensures upgrades are configured and installed on schedule. Uses standard hand and power tools and technical manuals. May work with multiple vendors, manufacturers, etc.
Maintains work order documentation, technical schematics and diagrams.

May assist in providing training to other technicians.

Must be willing to travel to various areas for installation and service to assigned systems.

Duties may require physical exertion, including reaching, carrying and lifting heavy equipment, up to 65 pounds. Duties require on-call accessibility, various work hours activity and travel.

Must have own vehicle and valid drivers license.

Education and Typical Years Experience
Vocational, trade school, or military technical training or an associate degree in electrical, electronic technology, or equivalent work experience. 5 years progressively responsible experience, demonstrating familiarity with a broad range of electronic equipment. Video Component, CCTV experience, traffic control systems, and radar equipment experience is desired.
Condition of Employment

Successful candidate must submit to pre-employment drug and background check.
• Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Effective written and verbal communication skills in a multi-cultural environment.
• Work requires moderate physical activity primarily in an office environment, fabrication shops and construction site locations.
• Work environment involves minimal exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like a combination of IT and electronics. But leans more towards electronics and telecoms. I wouldn't consider this a "true IT" job; I've had jobs similar to this in the past, and most future IT employers didn't see the "transferability" into pure IT.

$14 per hour seems a little low for the qualifications they want. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Sounds like a combination of IT and electronics. But leans more towards electronics and telecoms. I wouldn't consider this a "true IT" job; I've had jobs similar to this in the past, and most future IT employers didn't see the "transferability" into pure IT.

$14 per hour seems a little low for the qualifications they want. Just my opinion.

Not sure if we have a misunderstanding, but I will clarify just in case. The $14/hour MAX was referring to jobs that I've currently seen on the market that seem to fit me more that I could actually apply to and possibly get, and the $20/hour job was referring to this job as a Field Service Tech. Not saying that money is the only factor, hence why I'm hesitant about accepting this offer.

Anywho, thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot! I wasn't sure if this was something future employers would see as a good route for previous experience, so your response helps illuminate things. Thanks!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have no experience, then it may be difficult to find something that pays really well.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I think they are just trying to put a warm body on the job. You will see that often with jobs that have a high turnover rate as they will try to market it as something different than what it really is with the hope that they might get lucky with you or get you to fill in the role until someone they really want comes along. I see it all the time with staffing firms and service providers/contractors.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies fellas, it makes me feel a lot better about turning down the job. Hopefully I can find something new though soon!

Yesterday, which was the day after I turned down the job to the recruiter, well she called again, three times. Left a voice message saying that she'd like to talk about the job in more detail with me. I had my phone away from me and on silent that day because I needed to concentrate on studying for the Network+ exam (which I took and passed today). She seemed desperate...
  • Options
    johnterry807johnterry807 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I wish I was you right now. That would be a job id jump on in a heart beat. I love field service. Sitting in a cubicle all day no thanks.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Hi,
    I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

Huh??

To the OP, I was in a similar position a while back, where someone advertised a job as Help Desk, only to find that it was a customer service position for a bank. Unless you need the money, I think you made a good decision as the job doesn't interests you, and doesn't help you in your career.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I wish I was you right now. That would be a job id jump on in a heart beat. I love field service. Sitting in a cubicle all day no thanks.

so...what are you doing with all these cubicle certs (CCNA, Web Designer, Database, etc) icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    pham0329 wrote: »
    so...what are you doing with all these cubicle certs (CCNA, Web Designer, Database, etc) icon_lol.gif

Well the Web designer/database was because of WGU. I'm aiming for a mobile network engineer position, which the CCNA would help with.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013