Certifications to accompany degree?

RBB22RBB22 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what certifications I should pursue to accompany my Associated degree in IT. I am going to pursue my bachelors degree as well, but would like to get into the field ASAP. I am encountering the problem of not having any experience when everyone wants it but no one is willing to give it to you. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming that a help desk type position is going to be my best bet to break in to the field, but I could be off base with that. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    you can start by telling us what your major is icon_lol.gif
  • CbrandonBCbrandonB Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As well as your goals. :) If we don't know where you want to go, how can we tell you how to get there? ;)

Brandon
  • RBB22RBB22 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Associates degree is in Information Technology with an emphasis on networking. I think that I would ultimately like to end up in the security aspect of IT, but I want to get into the field and get my feet wet. Thanks for your time.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your emphasis is in network I would recommend CCNA, Security+ as your first two. Those should be straight forward and relatively quick to obtain depending on what your education has taught you.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I see that you did not mention A+ or Network+ and I was wondering if those two certifications are worth going after or if I should focus on CCNA and Security+ first. I just want to do what is best to break into the field. I feel if I can get my foot in the door and get some experience I will be fine. Thanks again for your time.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RBB22 wrote: »
    My Associates degree is in Information Technology with an emphasis on networking. I think that I would ultimately like to end up in the security aspect of IT, but I want to get into the field and get my feet wet. Thanks for your time.

Just my humble opinion.

CCNA and maybe a security Cisco certification. CompTia Security + would be another good one as well.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I see that you did not mention A+ or Network+ and I was wondering if those two certifications are worth going after or if I should focus on CCNA and Security+ first. I just want to do what is best to break into the field. I feel if I can get my foot in the door and get some experience I will be fine. Thanks again for your time.

Worth and value depend on the situation. As an outsider looking in I would think Network + would bring little value since you already have or soon to be your networking AA. A+ would be a nice one to get, since it's a HR requirement for a lot of jobs.

I would first try to get a job if you don't already. I did N+, A+, and S+ since I have a business management degree, not a IT one. However since you have all that exposure to networking, I do a vendor networking cert or a security cert.
    Thank you N2IT. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about studying for the CCNA? I have checked into the certification kits that are advertised on this site. I like the hands on portion that a kit can give you rather than just reading from a book. Any advice on this would be great as well. Also, A+ cert. advice such as good books to prepare for the test. I would think that would be more straight forward but I still want to be prepared. Thanks again for all of the advice and help, it is appreciated.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Thank you N2IT. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about studying for the CCNA? I have checked into the certification kits that are advertised on this site. I like the hands on portion that a kit can give you rather than just reading from a book. Any advice on this would be great as well. Also, A+ cert. advice such as good books to prepare for the test. I would think that would be more straight forward but I still want to be prepared. Thanks again for all of the advice and help, it is appreciated.

CCNA -- CBT Nuggets is a great start.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

I'm not a CCNA so I don't think I should be giving advice on that particular certifications.

However for A+ this is a great place to start. Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

It's free and informative. The 70-680 training is really good too. It might not be enough to get you past the exam, but the knowledge is really awesome if you are just getting into the field.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any suggestions on how to go about studying for the CCNA?

Stop by the CCNA/CCENT section of the forum. There's a sticky with a HUGE list of great resources to get you started.