Cisco models?

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
So i working with this cert since 2010 i played with some models routers/switches but i am thinking how can i choice the right equipment for the right solution

The certs teach you how to configure the equipment but no how to choose it

for example i like play videogames in my pc so i know how to choose the right video card for the right rig budget/performance

So how do you choose your equipment? because in the cisco academy we have some swithces 2950 and i am reading right now those switches are OLD i cant deploy a solution with these model.

what i can do to learn this?

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    So i working with this cert since 2010 i played with some models routers/switches but i am thinking how can i choice the right equipment for the right solution

for example i like play videogames in my pc so i know how to choose the right video card for the right rig budget/performance

So how do you choose your equipment? because in the cisco academy we have some swithces 2950 and i am reading right now those switches are OLD i cant deploy a solution with these model.

The answer is - it depends. You need to know your requirements for the buildout before you can choose proper equipment. There are very few one size fits all solutions in the network world. And 2950's are still just fine for access layer deployments
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The CDA cert goes into designing a network and what models of equipment you should use.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Once you understand the requirements the Cisco Product Guide is your friend.

[url]Http://no.eetnordic.com/cdata/no/pdf/Cisco_SB_PG_June_10.pdf[/url]
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    The CDA cert goes into designing a network and what models of equipment you should use.
    I see i going to check this maybe i learn something
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gouki2005 wrote: »

The answer is in the CCDA/CCDP track of network design.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »

You sound like the CCDP evangelist!:) icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

hahaha icon_lol.gif

Well straight , precise, and to the point, is what i figured.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+

Yeah, going to disagree with you there ;)

I would NOT be using the CCD(A|P) tracks as buying guides for a network. I know better than to trust Cisco's recommendation for products (go ahead, follow their recommendations for security solutions - let me know how many of those solutions HAVEN'T been EoL'd)

Nor is it a simple one to one mapping - ie, 'for this many users and this design, buy this piece of hardware'. It says basically the same thing I do - it depends on your requirements.

Following the recommendations of a Certification track is a good way to spend lots of money.
    You have a valid point, my point is gaining the experience and education from those tracks, one can come up with their own ideas of what equipment to purchase. However i would recommend to use the designs they do teach you in those certs. If you personally dont then that is your personal choice however i see having the CCDP in that sense as a waist and just there as a paper cert.
    If you personally dont then that is your personal choice however i see having the CCDP in that sense as a waist and just there as a paper cert.

I agree, I personally feel the CCDP was a waste of my time and I wish I'd never gotten sidetracked with it.
    I honestly love the designs it has to offer. All the designs are based off cisco's designs guides you find off their website.

If you are using an all cisco shop i cannot see how you wouldn't want to use many of the designs they offer. Many of their designs are also compatible with non cisco products. They have many examples of great designs for layer2 (STP, RSTP , MST) to layer3 (RIPv2, OSPF, ISIS, BGP) using IEEE protocols. They have many designs for non-proprietary load balancer designs ( one armed , two armed, routed) "applies to all load balancers" and how to go about integrating them in existing cisco networks. Many designs and topics discussing link aggregation "oversubscription", logical concepts of layered designs. They also teach you how to cut costs using collapsed core designs with modular switches so you dont have to buy appliance after appliance. Those are just many of the topics they touch on, obviously i am not going to go over every detail, but i see many examples where cisco teaches you how not to go the cisco way. In all honesty i can use the education i learned designing networks with the CCDP cert using non cisco products, and i do it all the time with HP products. I dont know how long ago you got your CCDP, i know the newer versions of the exam have a lot of great newer information. I know the first versions of this cert were very limited from what i hear. I dont know if this is the case with you when you took the cert but i honesty love the information in these certs.

I mean no disrespect to you, i just dont feel cisco is out to sell you bogus information. Sure they also need to try to sell their products, that is a no brainer for anyone in marketing, but i think cisco does a very good job in teaching non-proprietary subject matter in vast amounts.