Can anyone tell me whether this is a good switch?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
CISCO 2950 24 Port 10/100 Switch | eBay UK

will i need a propriety ac power connector or are they the same IEC320 power leads that hook upto computers?

i've never used a switch before so can anyone give me any advice please on what i'd need to do to connect it to my pc and how i maybe able to connect up my netgear adsl router/modem to it to be able to access internet?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    MrXpert wrote: »
    CISCO 2950 24 Port 10/100 Switch | eBay UK

will i need a propriety ac power connector or are they the same IEC320 power leads that hook upto computers?

i've never used a switch before so can anyone give me any advice please on what i'd need to do to connect it to my pc and how i maybe able to connect up my netgear adsl router/modem to it to be able to access internet?

I have one of those,

You'll need a normal power plug Female 3 pin. The ones you put at the back of a Tower PC.

You'll need a straight cable from you netgear to your switch. Also you need a console cable to configure the switch at first then once you set up telnet you can configure the switch via telnet.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    I have one of those,

You'll need a normal power plug Female 3 pin. The ones you put at the back of a Tower PC.

You'll need a straight cable from you netgear to your switch. Also you need a console cable to configure the switch at first then once you set up telnet you can configure the switch via telnet.

So do I connect the switch to my pc's NIC using a cat5e/6 straight cable?
    then my netgear home adsl router is connected to the switch with a straight cat 5e/6 cable?

Or is it a case of the switch does not connect to my PC and simply just connects to the netgear home router?

Then i get a rj45 to serial console cable and plug that into the switch for initial configuration. I then setup a virtual IP address which will allow me to telnet onto the switch?

sorry if i'm dense...i am thats why
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    MrXpert wrote: »
    So do I connect the switch to my pc's NIC using a cat5e/6 straight cable?
    then my netgear home adsl router is connected to the switch with a straight cat 5e/6 cable?

Or is it a case of the switch does not connect to my PC and simply just connects to the netgear home router?

Then i get a rj45 to serial console cable and plug that into the switch for initial configuration. I then setup a virtual IP address which will allow me to telnet onto the switch?

sorry if i'm dense...i am thats why

As your buying the Switch on eBay, i'm sure it has some sort of configuration already on it. Vlans etc...

If you power on the switch and wait till all the lights come on then hold down the Mode button for 20sec, switch will restart eraseing all the config setting on the switch.

Then you'll be able to plug in one cable from your switch to the Netgear and another cable to you PC. Both cables would need to be a Straight through.This will allows data to pass though the switch.

But if you would like to configure the switch then you will need to put a console cable at the back of the switch which then connects to your PC via a Serial Com Port.
    This will allow you to configure the switch initially. As you would have deleted your config. If for any reason, you were not able to delete the setting on the switch the console cable will definitely allow you to configure the switch either way.

Let us know how you get on.