Options

Citigroup hacked - 200,000 accounts

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Here is yet another one...

Citigroup says hackers accessed credit card data - Yahoo! Finance
Citigroup Inc. said Thursday that hackers accessed the credit card information of North American customers, in an online security breach affecting about 200,000 accounts.
The hackers were able to gain access to Citi's Account Online service to view customer names, their account numbers and contact information including email addresses.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I don't keep up with the news like I should, but is there a connection between all these events lately?

Sony....Lockheed....now Citi?

That seems like a lot of misfit activity in a short period of time.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I don't keep up with the news like I should, but is there a connection between all these events lately?

Sony....Lockheed....now Citi?

That seems like a lot of misfit activity in a short period of time.

I wonder if this is RSA related...?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To steal from others...
    On another note I have the following list going, which is a list of notable hacks since the beginning of the year:
    • Barracuda Network (WAF disabled)
    • Sony PS3 (user data 77 million)
    • Sony Entertainment Online (user data)
    • PBS Kids (2PAC + affiliates)
    • Lockheed Martin (Nothing but priving RSA worked)
    • HBGary (CC and SSN)
    • RSA (Token Algorithms)
    • Comodo (Root SSL)
    • Epsilon (email breach
    • NY Yankees (employee emailed out 21,000 season ticket users info)
    • Oak Ridge National Lab (data being stolen; pulled the "internat plug")
    • Wordpress.com (DoS one month / Source code and credentials stolen after breakin)
    • MySQL (SQL Injection caused embarassment only)
    • TripAdvisor.com (data theft, but no passwords)

Now add Citi to that list, one must believe that there is some relationship between some/many of these.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'm of the opinion that this was happening all along, and they're just now getting to the point of being "aware" of it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    relationship is = people dont believe in security anymore, they dont train IT for security driven networks, and they dont pay those security individuals what they deserve. It just gets easier and easier for hackers to gain this material. I wouldnt doubt that these hackers were former security engineers who got kicked to the curve or didnt get paid a good salary, so they find means of way to get paid. Lets be honest here, there are thousands of companies all over the world that would pay for all that data being stolen.

While corporate greed continues to dominate, you will see this hacking trend double. While CEOs, VIPs, Joe shmoes get their 200K salaries and their 50 k in bonuses and the people who secure their enterprises get shitted on, there enterprises will continue to be the primary attacks.

A Security Engineer work strike would be very scary! You have everyone stopping their security jobs or worst, start to attack their own networks and others of dislike! icon_twisted.gif

its possible.....icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Maybe Citi froze assets of Wikileaks and some pro-Wikileak group taking revenge....