Options

DDR2 vs. DDR3

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I could use some expert advice here!

I'm trying to resell computer memory and established contact with a few distributor. Before I put an order for a truckload of RAM , I want to decide which memory type, size I order. I signed up for a market research online resource and it wasn't much help.

For a desktop or a laptop, which memory type people most likely to upgrade, DDR2 or DDR3? To me it doesn't make much sense that a lot of people would be interested in 1G of DDR3 as this is a new memory type and most PCs laptops nowadays come with 4+ GB of RAM.

Take a look at RAM roadmap pic below and please give me your idea based on your experience :)

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Based on a lot of the side work I do, and others I know, we see most of the memory upgrades are for DDR2. Most of these computers were only purchased with 1-2 gigs of ram, and are looking for a little more.

As you said, most new computers come with 2+ gig by default, so most most likely won't be looking for an upgrade (unless Windows 8 changes that).

I think a lot of it depends on where you plan to resell or market your ram. Do you plan on posting on ebay, or do you plan on reselling to smb/home users?

As for size, what is the cost difference between 1 and 2 gigs? How much do you plan on reselling for? What would your profit margins be?
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Apologies if I'm incorrect as I'm certainly not an expert, but is there really any money in this?

RAM prices are drop dead low and I've heard from manufacturer to retail(example:newegg.com) the profit margin is incredibly low for memory at the moment. I mean 8GB DDR3 for around $70 doesn't seem like the margin would be very high.

Older DDR2 prices are higher icon_rolleyes.gif and that's likely what businesses would choose for upgrading so maybe there is an opportunity to buy low and sell for a profit but I'd recommend doing tons of market research and be very cautious as to how you approach this.

I just don't see a lucrative business venture from selling only memory unless you have some solid contacts and ability to score a few contracts from large businesses trying to extend the life of older machines another year.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    DDR2 is old. So prepare to pay more for it. DDR3 has been the standard for years now, which is why it is cheap and plentiful. There are also a lot more brands of DDR3 than there ever was for DDR2...which helps drive price down. Most new computers come with 3-4 gigs minimum, with many featuring more as 64bit grows.

Honestly, this sounds like a horrible idea. Memory is too cheap and easy to come by. If you don't even know much about memory, why would you be ready to order a truckload of it?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???