Options

Let's say you wanted to get a MS 2008 server certification

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Which one would give you a high level overview of the server technology while introducing you into the basics. Would one of the 2003 exams be better for that?

I am just wondering thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    High level overview + intro to Server basics = youtube "intro to server 2008", or googling for "server 2008 overview" w/ powerpoints/pdfs. There is no cert that discusses basics for servers other than the first 10-20pages of any server book.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Totally depends on your own goals. If you anticipate spending all your time with 2008, start there. If you are going to do it all, knock out 2003 and take the upgrade path. The Server certs are really not something you can dip your toe into to see if you like it. Those MS tests are HARD!!!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In addition to what the other posters said, if you just want a broad overview of MS server technology, just read TechNet and lab as you go. That way you wouldnt have to delve into the technology too much and you wouldnt have to worry about passing the damn exam!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    In addition to what the other posters said, if you just want a broad overview of MS server technology, just read TechNet and lab as you go. That way you wouldnt have to delve into the technology too much and you wouldnt have to worry about passing the damn exam!

I like your style :)

I have VM's loaded with 03 and 08. I think I'll do that very thing. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have VM's loaded with 03 and 08. I think I'll do that very thing. icon_thumright.gif

Yeah some of those exams are hard, dont take them unless you have to. Stick with ITIL icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Yeah some of those exams are hard, dont take them unless you have to. Stick with ITIL icon_wink.gif

My title of the post was poorly worded.

I am 100% ITIL no question about it. There are a few other high level frameworks I am attempting to adopt, but right now it's ITIL.

Honestly besides ITIL service transition I have been reading several finance books.

The only reason I was curious about something high level is to be able to manage other projects other than desktop and deployment type of engagements. I was hoping to open up my doors a bit to take on network and server type engagements.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'd probably be best served by just getting the Sybex combined Server 2008 R2 book and also taking the advice of previous posters here (you tube videos, technet, lab) and not going deep enough to test on it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I know others may think differently, but after taking the 642, I can say that just covering the topics that are hit during the cert would give you a good overview of the roles of Server 2008, besides AD/GP. You don't have to be an expert in any of them, but understanding when and why you need certain roles would be important.

When I think Server I think of Active Directory, DNS and DHCP...even though I know there is and work with daily so much more than those.
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »

That was an interesting read and video. Thanks again