Options

Switch jobs from help desk to help desk?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I have been working in technical support (call centre environment) for about 1 year. I work about 3-4 days a week ranging from 10 hrs a day.

I might have a new opportunity to work in help desk AGAIN (could be call centre). Salary is about the same. Better work hours,(5 days a week). company is slightly bigger with possible opportunities. but no guarantee, ( i was promised at my current workplace that there are plenty but it was a lie)

No huge difference except better work hours. Help Desk isn't my dream job and i have no intention of moving up in the tech route. it's more of a stepping stone to get myself into "Information systems" or "QA Analyst".

Do you think i should switch jobs? my heart is telling me not to make the move but i'm getting pressure from my parents that i should take the move.

Comments

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Current job:
    Less hours,
    No opportunity to move up. And by move up I mean meet anyone new that could help you get into the field you want.

Potential job:
    More hours
    Possible opportunity to network with new people

considering they're both help desk positions, and not knowing much else about the situation I'd say go for it
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    laptop wrote: »
    I have been working in technical support (call centre environment) for about 1 year. I work about 3-4 days a week ranging from 10 hrs a day.

I might have a new opportunity to work in help desk AGAIN (could be call centre). Salary is about the same. Better work hours,(5 days a week). company is slightly bigger with possible opportunities. but no guarantee, ( i was promised at my current workplace that there are plenty but it was a lie)

No huge difference except better work hours. Help Desk isn't my dream job and i have no intention of moving up in the tech route. it's more of a stepping stone to get myself into "Information systems" or "QA Analyst".

Do you think i should switch jobs? my heart is telling me not to make the move but i'm getting pressure from my parents that i should take the move.

I'm sorry but a call center does not sound like Help Desk to me. If the other position is truly help desk, then I would think your moving up.

If not; even if it is the same duties, it still sounds better than where your at now.

You don't think you qualify for something better already?
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    More hours equals better pay so go for it. You've already mentioned that you have no hope for promotion at your current job so I'd go for it