Options

Should I be becoming huge buds with the boss so soon?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm sure some of you know that I recently got my first IT job at a help desk. Today was my 5th day. Looking around me, a few people from our training class seem to have made good buddies with the boss icon_neutral.gif I have introduced myself to him and let him know how excited I am to be working here and such, however, I never find myself over there joking and laughing with him like a few of the other guys... Should I join in so soon? Or should I wait until we go live on the phones and show my chops first (my performance) and THEN make buddies with him?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMO there isnt anything wrong with being friendly with the boss or anyone for that matter. Just dont wag your tail too much, atleast not yet. That being said, it IS important to be good friends with your superiors, immediate boss that is, I can guarantee from personal experience that this helps to get you more/better work down the track.

What kinda helpdesk role have you got, if you dont mind me asking? Only out of curiosity.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you know that I recently got my first IT job at a help desk. Today was my 5th day. Looking around me, a few people from our training class seem to have made good buddies with the boss icon_neutral.gif I have introduced myself to him and let him know how excited I am to be working here and such, however, I never find myself over there joking and laughing with him like a few of the other guys... Should I join in so soon? Or should I wait until we go live on the phones and show my chops first (my performance) and THEN make buddies with him?

If you can fit in, go be social. Just because you're the new guy doesn't mean you have to be quiet all the time. If you've got something meaninful to contribute, go contribute. I personally can't stand wallflowers. It makes me doubt that they have any initiative and are just trying to make it through the day.

On the other side of it, don't force it. If all they do is make dick and fart jokes, and you're not comfortable with that sort of thing, don't try to fit in just for the sake of fitting in.
  • Options
    If all they do is make dick and fart jokes, and you're not comfortable with that sort of thing, don't try to fit in just for the sake of fitting in.

That kinda seems to be the case with quite a few here... Somehow, a few of the people who started with me seem like best buds with the boss icon_neutral.gif

This is "tier 1" support role. I plan to learn everything this desk has to offer.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    I tend to talk about myself way to much to other employees who i work with. They enjoy being talked to, but once in awhile I tend to ask them questions like what they are into, what they do for fun, and other stuff. Gets them relieved from me blabbing about school, my hobbies, and other things.

So far everyone at my work likes me because I am easy to get along with, have a positive attitude on not only this job, but the outlook of life. If you find the time try and talk to them and find out their interests and hobbies. Just don't make it sound like your g a y. Joke around with them, but don't go to far.

An Example:

Like today, one of my co-workers was spending time with a girl passing out Cisco phones to be installed in various rooms, so me and another guy said something funny like, "You getting your Pam time in? lol" The other guy chuckled and said, "Yeah, I am getting my Pam time in." While smiling and laughing.

It was funny because she is the only girl in the IT department at my contract job that is working with us.

Anyways, just try and get to know them and what they are into plus tell them a little bit about yourself and what your outlook/opinions on things are. I am sure they will have plenty to talk about with you then.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    If you can fit in, go be social. Just because you're the new guy doesn't mean you have to be quiet all the time. If you've got something meaninful to contribute, go contribute. I personally can't stand wallflowers. It makes me doubt that they have any initiative and are just trying to make it through the day.

On the other side of it, don't force it. If all they do is make dick and fart jokes, and you're not comfortable with that sort of thing, don't try to fit in just for the sake of fitting in.

I sit quietly on my first few days. It makes people think I have something to hide. I like to instill that little bit of fear/unknown in them. MUAAHAHAH
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    You really need to just be friendly and do your job. Don't be afraid to join a conversation, but also don't go throwing yourself in the middle of one all the time either.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    I sit quietly on my first few days. It makes people think I have something to hide. I like to instill that little bit of fear/unknown in them. MUAAHAHAH

Sure, I'm usually quiet the first couple weeks while I'm taking in the lay of the land. I've committed enough faux paus in the past to know what's generally acceptable and what isn't, and each work environment has their own little quirks, the quicker you can discern them, the better.

But I also tend to ask alot of questions, usually related to the job. It helps break the ice, and works as a good conversation opener to lead to other things. It gives people a chance to talk to you, shows you're interested, and gives you a chance to talk to them.

In the end, be yourself, because like it or not, that's who you're going to be. No one can keep up the facade forever.

Actually, the cynical side of me takes anything a new hire does or says in the first 90 days with a grain of salt. People tend to be on their best behavior in their probationary period. Once they feel safe, they let their guard down and show you who they really are. I'm myself from the word go. If I'm not a good fit, better for all involved to find out sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That kinda seems to be the case with quite a few here... Somehow, a few of the people who started with me seem like best buds with the boss icon_neutral.gif

This is "tier 1" support role. I plan to learn everything this desk has to offer.

You get more respect in life by not caring what other people think about you. The opposite of this position of "not caring what other people think about you" doesn't come from being an antisocial jerk, but rather from a position of solid character.

When you're dealing with anyone at your new job (or life for that matter) - boss, coworkers, or whatever - the best you can do is to interact with them in a way that is consistent with your personality.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Yeah but I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity because someone else was in better with him.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah but I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity because someone else was in better with him.
    Yeah but you don't want to brown nose him either... Remember your in for a couple of months and with your studies going on, you want to be out of that position within the year. Your studies will get you where you want to go... Remember that.
  • Options
    I plan to make an advance around about six months. I've had several people working here tell me that the "go getters" usually spend about six months on the help desk and then they move on toe greener pastures. I think I'm a go getter in a way. I am willing to put in the study time. I haven't started studying the knowledge base because we need a CAC just to access it.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    never anything wrong with friendship regardless of the situation. Always a positive to have friendship in all matters in life.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

I’m trying to get a job in IT, but currently work in printing, so I can only speak from my experiences with my current and previous jobs. My experience has been that employees that can talk and hold a conversation with the boss are the ones that advance. More importantly the boss must be able to tolerate that employee. My current job occasionally has openings for bindery operators and I have talked to a few operators and asked them how they obtain the position, and they said that a lot of it had to do with the supervisor liking them and being able to tolerate you.

Here’s some good videos that may help answer your question..

How to Survive the First 90 Days (Video) | Dice Blog Network
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Just roll with it for now. Yes you need to schmooze a little to make your day go better. Be friendly but concentrate on your work for the moment. Anyone sucking up to the boss too hard early doors generally gets noticed for it and slammed hard when they start to screw up. They often do. Complacency. Get some good *work* done for the boss for a couple of months then start to open up a little more to him. By then you have some credability for your work, start to show a different side to yourself 'not all business', and he will have tired of the deadwood lamers who suck up but deliver nothing. He will be looking for new options to invest in.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not real big into socializing just to socialize. If I genuinely like you and we have something in common, I'll socialize with you. CIO down to the office secretary gets treated the same by me. I tend to let my work do the talking. I'm not saying I just give everyone the cold shoulder. In fact, I have a very friendly/funny personality. I just don't go out of my way to force uninteresting conversations with people. No, I really don't care about your stamp collection, son's little league game or what happened on the recent episode of Dancing With the Stars. And please stop sending me chain emails.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    I learned from my experience: don't go out of control. try to be quiet as posssible. you should listen more than talk. talking too much can sometimes danger yourself. Don't show them your real personality/attitude. everyone at work is fake...they appear to be nice in front of you, but once you're gone, everyone will talk behind your back.

managers are not friends.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    I learned from my experience: don't go out of control. try to be quiet as posssible. you should listen more than talk. talking too much can sometimes danger yourself. Don't show them your real personality/attitude. everyone at work is fake...they appear to be nice in front of you, but once you're gone, everyone will talk behind your back.

You should focus on being effective at work. People will judge you on personality and approach but it's difficult to argue with your results, so always concentrate first and foremost on getting useful stuff done at work. People always gossip, not much you can do about that other than making sure you dont behave like a dork at work. Be professsional.
  • Options
    laptop wrote: »

That's just going to the other extreme, which doesn't do any good either.

In all things, moderation. Be approachable, be personable, but don't try and be the life of the party. On the other end of the spectrum, don't be a door mat.

As Turgon said, focus on doing your job well, and try to play nice with others. You can't ignore the political and social elements of the workplace. Either you learn to play the game, or the game will most certainly play you.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    chrisone wrote: »
    never anything wrong with friendship regardless of the situation. Always a positive to have friendship in all matters in life.

I agree never be afraid to shoot the sh$t, it builds camaraderie with those that you work with. I get to work 45 minutes early every day because I know me and the Sr.engineer are going to sit around and drink coffee and blab about god knows what. Building good relationships with people in other groups through out the company also helps when you need favors or something really quick that you just cant stand putting in a ticket for. Don't over do it but "be cool" keep working hard like you are doing and I am sure it will fall into place.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'm old school in this fashion. Mostly because of my upbringing and the military though. If my boss starts chewing the fat with me I'll return it. If he starts joking with me, I'll return it. But I never initiate it. My boss is the best IT manager I've ever had, honest to God smart as hell and a wonderful guy. But I'd never initiate any type of communication beyond professional.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus