Link state updates

bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Cisco Press book mentions that OSPF reflood each LSA every 30 minutes and another part of the book mentions that OSPF does not send periodic updates.

Isn't reflooding an LSA the same thing as sending periodic updates?

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What they mean is that it isn't so frequent I believe. RipV2 updates happen every 30 seconds. That is considered a periodic update. Someone else may have a better response than I.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is correct, LSAs are only sent out when there is a change in the topology. If my memory serves me correct it only sends out the LSA with only the change that occurred and not the entire table. Also since chances are there wont be links going down every 30 minutes the topology tables in your OSPF need to be maintained, so every 30 minutes OSPF will refresh its tables and send out the LSAs to all routers. Kind of like a "Hey just a reminder, i have this topology of the network, just making sure everyone else on the team has the same topology as i do." something like that hahaha

RIP will send out the entire routing table topology every 30 secs! that is a waste and inefficient use of bandwidth.

I hope this helps
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX