Options

Getting knocked out last round

Hey All,

I have been unemployed for going on nine months now, had a lot of interviews for positions I have been very well qualified for and ones that were a joke but I think they needed bodies to fill slots.

Anyway, in the feedback I have gotten from the employers, they have said that I am very presentable, did great on the interviews, but they were going with someone who "had more experience". My question is it sounds like I am doing fine on interviews, but I've been knocked out so many times because of "more experience" and I never know in what they are talking about to improve myself.

I'm a hardware break fix guy who is also up to speed on MS Office, XP, 7, and a little of Server 03. I have my A+ and Net+ exams, wondering what I could do for experience or certs that would help me? I don't ever see myself being in the security side or the database admin side, although a network admin or a desktop admin is a def possibility. I've attempted to study for the 70 680 but get blown out on auto deployment and virtualization, as I don't have the money for a lab subscription or build.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation, however I'm trying to hustle some home PC repair gigs for a few extra $.
    Competitive, since every High Schooler with a screwdriver and a laptop is doing the same thing, but i've realized that there is that one market where someone is willing to pick you because they trust you (don't betray that trust, you'll ruin it for the rest of us!) over someone with fancier credentials.

That may not break you into the field directly but the more confidence you get from just being around different systems in different environments you'll eventually add that experience to your resume, but in the mean time you gotta start with temp agencies, or places like BestBuy.

Hope this helps!