Options

Need Help in 70-640 preparation

IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm reading Microsoft self-paced training kits, but I see that it not sufficient to pass especially in two topics, which I finished till now but not limited to :

DNS
DFS Replication

Books I'm reading :
Microsoft MCTS 70-640
Windows Server 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection

I contructed the labs in books above

and as I told before, still seeing them insufficient to answer the exam questions, what to do else, especially for these topics ( DNS, DFS Replication) ?

Comments

• Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Read up on those subjects on technet. It will help
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Spot on advice by pzero. Read Technet, forget about these MS Press books. Perhaps do those questions at the end of chapters, but read Technet for the info.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    IT Explorer, what exactly is it that you are asked (on practice exams I assume) regarding DFS Replication, that you can not answer by just reading the MSpress book? Personally, I feel that the Mspress book explains the DFS Replication topic quite well. But I have not yet taken any practice exams.

I have to say that I hate having to look at different sources to get all the information I need for a particular exam. I don't mind reading 1500 pages books, as long as they give me all the information on one resource. I hate to have to check back and forth between two books AND technet, while making notes. Its very cumbersome.

Couple that with the Mspress book not being updated for R2 content, and this particular exam is VERY frustrating to prepare for.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    dear Dracula28,
    I didn't say that Microsoft don't explain the mentioned topics well, they explain their topics professionally, but only Basics in these topics, when ever I take their microsoft practice exam, I see questions about things were not mentioned in the whole book, and they reffer to their books ( MCTS sellf-pace, NAP ) while I'm sure that I didn't leave any stone unturned.

Essendon and pzero, I appreciate your advice, I went into Microsoft Technet, but alway there will be links for further readings in any page, and I didn't know where to stop,
    Do you mind in giving me some specific most important links there to fullfil these topics
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hear you, IT Explorer. TechNet is an almost endless cornucopia of knowledge and can be overwhelming when you are starting out. Read the exam blueprint and read the corresponding topics on TechNet. Lab as you go and lab hard!

As for DNS and DFS, here are two links that I have bookmarked.

DFS Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008
    DNS: Domain Name System(DNS)
    What's New in DNS in Windows Server 2008

The first two links are very exhaustive, do not hesitate to read up all of it. It's a lot of information I know, but it is invaluable. You sure want to pass the exam, but I am sure you want to be apply all that knowledge to real life too. And ensure you lab as you go, mere reading isnt going to cut it.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other queries you may have!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options