Cisco Press books a must?

southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
In getting the CCNA do you think the Cisco Press books by Odom are necessary? I purchased the new Sybex book by Lammle, and wasn't sure how important everyone deems them. I'm just wondering if I need to fork over the money for the Certification Library or not. Opinions?

Comments

• azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You don't want to rely on a single source to prepare for the Cisco exams. There are probably 50 or so threads covering this topic that can point you in the right direction. Me personally I would get both when I start on this cert in a few months.

Welcome to Techexams. =)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    No, you can pass with just the book you already have. Lab time is important too. Do you have packet tracer or some equipment to practice on? When I took my CCNA exam the labs looked quite a bit to me like packet tracer, so if you're comfortable with how packet tracer works you might do better on the exam when you get to the labs.

Imagine being in the exam room, you've configured something in a lab and now you need to test end to end connectivity by pinging some device from a host. Exposure to packet tracer will help you not waste so much time figuring out how to do things like that.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    azjag wrote: »
    You don't want to rely on a single source to prepare for the Cisco exams. There are probably 50 or so threads covering this topic that can point you in the right direction. Me personally I would get both when I start on this cert in a few months.

Welcome to Techexams. =)

You're right in that all of your studying coming from a single source is not enough, but reading two books is going a bit far and imho not the very best use of your study time. Other alternative study tools could be computer based training videos (CBT Nuggets and Train signal are two options) and CCNA Certification - Practice Exams - Training would probably be more beneficial.

Once again lab time is very important. You should configure every domain covered in the exam at least 10 times. Do NACLs 10 times. Set up rip routes 10 times, router on a stick 10 times. (I'm not saying that any of these things are on the exam, this is just an example).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Todd's book is fine for someone who already has been working with Cisco hardware and networking and just needs an update for the Cisco specific information.

While Todd's book is GREAT for subnetting for a total network noob, it may not be enough. I think Todd has posted here that the first few chapters are more of a review and assume that the reader has Network+ level knowledge.

I say total network noob probably wants both Todd's Sybex book and Wendell's Cisco Press Certification Library. Todd's 7th edition is the lastest update, but the 6th should still work along with Wendell's books.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've used the Sybex book and home lab and various videos and failed my first time. I bought the Cisco Press books and they had a lot of information and it was presented differently. I loved them over the Sybex book. But, that's just me. Others have passed strictly using the Sybex book and a lab.

Cisco Press books were on sale at Amazon a while back for $30 for the set (ICND1 & ICND2).
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a home lab already it's just waiting on me. I am a networking noob so I am currently reading Network + material. I have read the Network + book by Lammle, and am currently watching the CBT Nuggets video series. I want to make sure I can get a 90% or greater on the Network + practice exams (not taking the actually certification test) before I start the CCNA path. I want to make sure I have a good foundation before I do it. I probably will get the Certification Lab books by Odom since they are so affordable on Amazon. Thanks for the replies.