Question about Scrap Paper?

stigmatastigmata Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I plan on taking the CCENT exam soon, and I had a question about whether you are allowed to write on the scrap paper prior to the exam starting.

I have heard a few different opinions on this, but does anyone know for sure if this is allowed? I have heard that you are allowed to write on the paper during the demonstration period before the actually exam, but not anytime before that.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, you are allowed to. Not a problem. I usually write down a few numbers for subnetting (although I can do it in my head, when I get nervous, I like having it right there!). 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096..... You can use the time before the test to write what you want that will help you out. Do it BEFORE the timer starts, right after you sit down. That's your time. Use it well. :)
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    PC509 wrote: »
    Yes, you are allowed to. Not a problem. I usually write down a few numbers for subnetting (although I can do it in my head, when I get nervous, I like having it right there!). 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096..... You can use the time before the test to write what you want that will help you out. Do it BEFORE the timer starts, right after you sit down. That's your time. Use it well. :)

Can you also use it during the exam for your working outs?
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Can you also use it during the exam for your working outs?

Yes. That's what it is there for. It's for you to use to do math, draw network diagram, etc. Just don't copy the questions on there, they don't like that! :) And you make sure to leave it there. I think if you take it with you, your test is invalidated (never happened, AFAIK).
  • neuregelneuregel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting the question and those who answered because I was wondering the same exact thing.
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »

Great tip, I didn't think about that. Your right, we should already have a mastery to do it in our heads but I happen to enjoy my safety nets! :D
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Before I start taking a practice test I write down the entire chart of /30 - /22 or so. CIDR, Mask, Block Size, Wildcard, Hosts and then subnets. Takes me about 4-5 mins but it makes it very easy to reference and not have to worry about making a mistake in my head. If I get to a question and see 172.16.44.1 /25 I know in 1 second that it is /25, .128, block of 128, wildcard 127, 126 hosts and 2 subnets.

172.16.44.1 would be in the 172.16.0.1 - 172.16.127.254 range. Etc.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • stigmatastigmata Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for all the answers!
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    When I took my CCENT I believe the most nervous part of the exam was me trying to line up my subnetting chart on that little eraser magic sheet... I was soo used to being spoiled with the lines on standard rule paper.

The little eraser board had smallll graphing type blocks, but I had a giant eraser marker and I could not line the numbers up..

LOL that was a nerveeee racking moment.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Nico RosbergNico Rosberg Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard someone suggest bringing your own fine point eraser marker. Are you allowed to do this?
    For the CCENT, they took my picture-watched me read the "rules" I had to sign all kinds of stuff. Empty my pockets. I doubt I could have brought in my own marker.. sadly.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    When I took my CCENT I believe the most nervous part of the exam was me trying to line up my subnetting chart on that little eraser magic sheet... I was soo used to being spoiled with the lines on standard rule paper.

The little eraser board had smallll graphing type blocks, but I had a giant eraser marker and I could not line the numbers up..

LOL that was a nerveeee racking moment.

Your marker worked?!? icon_twisted.gif Mine didn't and when I got the attention of the "proctor" she didn't have any that worked. She wouldn't give me a blank piece of paper and a pen (or pencil) either since her instructions were to give ONLY the dry erase marker and the grid sheet thingy. I passed anyway (CCNA) but holding subnet tables, network diagrams, etc in memory (mine and I only got 8k since I'm old icon_lol.gif ) was difficult. Don't count on actually being able to use that scratch 'paper' they provide you.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    spd3432 wrote: »
    Your marker worked?!? icon_twisted.gif Mine didn't and when I got the attention of the "proctor" she didn't have any that worked. She wouldn't give me a blank piece of paper and a pen (or pencil) either since her instructions were to give ONLY the dry erase marker and the grid sheet thingy. I passed anyway (CCNA) but holding subnet tables, network diagrams, etc in memory (mine and I only got 8k since I'm old icon_lol.gif ) was difficult. Don't count on actually being able to use that scratch 'paper' they provide you.

That is horrible! glad you passed.. wow
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    spd3432 wrote: »

If I arrived at a testing center and the materials that they were supposed to provide did not function I would not test and take the matter up with Prometric or Pearson Vue. I would imagine since they are an authorized testing facility they are required to provide certain things in order to facilitate a conductive test environment. If they expect me to be 100% prepared to test, they should be 100% prepared to give me the full use of facilities I need.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • in3din3d Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey just wanted to share my experience at a testing center. I asked for scrap paper but the guy would only let me have the laminated board per Pearson rules (according to him). So maybe some places give it to you and some don't?
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    u will get laminated board only with erasable marker

u will require it for subnetting only
  • str8outtajerzystr8outtajerzy Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how big is the board? I tend to be all over the place when I subnet.
  • in3din3d Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how big is the board? I tend to be all over the place when I subnet.

Think of it as 8.5 x 14 (legal) but maybe just a little wider. I wrote on the back and the front. and as small as i could to make sure i had space.
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I think it really just depends on the place that you're taking the exam. I had a dry erase board at mine, probably no bigger than 8.5x11. I don't think they would be opposed to you having more than one piece of paper if you need it.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I asked for and received a 2nd dry erase board. I used one to write down various things during the pretest survey and used the other one for my work. Also so I wouldn't have to use valuable test time to erase.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • str8outtajerzystr8outtajerzy Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    I asked for and received a 2nd dry erase board. I used one to write down various things during the pretest survey and used the other one for my work. Also so I wouldn't have to use valuable test time to erase.
    Good Idea, I will try this when I take my test!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    Also so I wouldn't have to use valuable test time to erase.
    My proctor has informed me each time that you aren't allowed to erase the dry erase board.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    My testing center usually hands out two to start with, but I've only ever used it on two exams - the old ONT CCNP exam, and the QOS CCIP exam. I wanted to make sure I didn't get the formulas needed in QOS calculations screwed up when I came across a question that needed them, so I made sure I wrote them out prior to the start of the exam.

But yeah, if you've got things you're not confident of remembering, use your time during the tutorial and survey sections to **** them onto the boards prior to starting the exam. Do this for anything you may have difficulty remembering, as it's good test taking strategy, and it actually mirrors real life - when you run into a problem in the real world, you always have the option of having reference material handy, so give yourself that advantage in the test realm as much as you possibly can.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    My proctor has informed me each time that you aren't allowed to erase the dry erase board.

really? that's interesting. Is that a Cisco policy or that testing center I wonder.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4