Options

Net Admin skills/knowledge requirements?

Radiant9Radiant9 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I am in the process of writing my resume and I'm really struggling to bring focus to it. Particularly pertaining to the "skills" section. Due to "holes" in my resume where I worked non-IT type jobs, I am writing a functional resume. So the "Skills/Proficiency" section seems crucial to me.

What skills and proficiencies do most companies look for in a Net Admin position? When I look at job opening descriptions, what they are asking for seems to vary wildly by each company. My skills and experience are REALLY wide, and I'm not sure how to focus them for a Net Admin position.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, BTW, to cover the basics, I have tech support/customer service/IT sales experience. I have also run my own VERY small "IT Consultant" business where I have repaired tons of PCs, Laptops, Installed and secured home and small business networks, and have my CCENT and should have my CCNA by the end of the month.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Try to put all your networking experience towards the top of your resume (i.e. before all your server/other experience). If you have Cisco experience this will go down well. Put any router/switching/wireless etc experience here. Also mention the tools you use while you have your network admin hat on. SNMP, syslog, netflow experience and packet debugging using wireshark etc.

Good luck, although I'd encourage you to get your CCNA as soon as possible. It can be the golden ticket to get you that interview
  • Options
    Radiant9Radiant9 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, that's helpful.

And My CCNA test is scheduled 6-28-11. So not too far away. Not too far at all....