Options

Lab Experience on Resume

cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for opinions on listing home lab experience on your resume and how you would list it.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    IMO a resume is strictly professional. Leave what you did at home off.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO a resume is strictly professional. Leave what you did at home off.

What about a work lab? I set up the Cisco lab where I work that I and my co-workers are using to study for CCNA certification.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm sure that's just still tacky as it seems regardless of where it is. If it is not a project, then just leave it out. I would have included multiple labs that I did in classes at school, but I didn't because that's just too tacky for a resume. A degree would implicitly show that I did those labs.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cleveoh wrote: »
    What about a work lab? I set up the Cisco lab where I work that I and my co-workers are using to study for CCNA certification.

If this were relevent to the job you're applying for and you don't have any better production experience to fill up the line then perhaps you could include this.

If you're just making a generic, keyword heavy resume for monster then why not? Those are essentially just there for bots to scan for words. Almost anyone who contacts you from Monster will ask you for an updated resume anyway.

I think you should always tailor your resume to the job at hand. It shows the person with an inch thick stack of resumes on his desk that you care enough to invest 30 minutes in the job and yourself and write to him/her.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cleveoh wrote: »

Read what he said. PROFESSIONAL experience. A work lab would be involved in your professional experience. However, the way in which you are using it might fall under the personal category. Your specific case is different. If it was found do be useful to your department you need to describe how. If all it did was help you guys study then no, don't list it. If you feel the study helped improve productivity, then yes. Discuss it in the resume. If you cannot show something concrete - drop it.

The place for discussing your home lab is on the cover letter or during the interview.