Options

My Study Routine: Critique Please?

Hello, I have been wondering if my study "style" is up to par. I know this is a per person kind of question, but I do some things that may need critiquing or at least advised upon.

Well first off, and I do not think this can be changed I am a Take my Time kind of learner. I studied 4 months for the CCENT. I usually study for a Cert untill I am soo sick of and tired of hearing the same verbatim overr and over. Then I am ready! lol

Nonetheless, there are some things I would like to be critiqued on that has been bugging me.

1. I usually will read a book chapter over a period of 1-2 days. I feel that if I sit and speed/cram read that nothing really sticks. I would like some opinions on this though. Maybe instead of ready a few pages off and on over a 2 day period, should I sit down for a couple hours and just knock the chapter out? ( I have the time ) This also kinda ties into what I do at work. I will read until a work order comes in which is every 15 minutes are so, therefore, I basically read a few pages off and on all day.

2. When it comes to CBT/Videos I supplement them into my study plan in regards to what ever subject I am on. I will skip around on the videos to match where I am in what ever study book I am studying. I feel like I am good there.

3. Lastly, I should mention that I am random. I will be reading one minute and then jump to labing for a few minutes then back to reading or watching a cbt etc.

I guess what I am really asking is should I try and do all my studying at night for a couple hours Vs. studying off and on throughout the day which is constantly disruptive. ( disruptive is kind of a harsh word for what I am trying to say. I guess what I mean is with interruption. )

My goal is to come up with a structured plan and not just a random study session. I have a high urge to study and learn, but I would just like to structure my efforts into a more productive plan.

The above is pretty much how I go about every Cert.

Any tips/critiques will be appreciated. Thanks!
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    If you study method works then stick with it if it doesn't you need to find something that works for you. Study habits are different for everyone.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    What you are doing sounds fine. Just try to stick with one chapter (i.e. read it, lab it and watch the videos) before you move to the next. Works for me
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have decent plan there, there aint anything wrong with jumping from labbing to reading as you go. Whatever works man!

I have a slightly different study plan, I watch the CBT Nuggets, read Technet, lab the crap out it, read more Technet and lab again if I dont understand something. There are of course topics that I need to come back to later. I read TechNet again and lab till I understand what it's all about. If there is something that I cannot lab (as in limited by the hardware required for the topic), I read as much material I can find. This plan has stood me in good stead for the past couple or so years and stick by it.

Again everyone is different, people will have different study styles. Whatever works, really!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Thanks all - I appreciate the responses.

I believe I will stick with what I am doing, but I think I will have more of sit down-study time after work, along with my off and on study time.

My goal is to knock down the time it takes me to be ready for an exam.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security