Options

4 months in the NOC, but ......

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm getting pretty frustrated. The only times I touch the IOS is to show interfaces to check errors or loop a T1 and run a bert test to look for errors.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm absolutely not saying "throw me in front of this device with multiple ds3's terminating on it and go off to lunch while I config or troubleshoot it", so much as either observing others doing that type of stuff, or doing it observed, you know?

I've started putting out feelers on some 'step up' jobs from here, but I'm running into the same situation I had before - I don't have any experience.

I've tried talking to 2 of the 3 "network" guys but am kindof blown off (I don't talk to the third cause he seems like the guy who just might snap your head off if he's in a mood).

Not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong or what - it's all new to me. I'm reading through the CCNP guides & labbing and whatnot on night-shift when it's not too busy, but I really feel I'm not gaining anything to put behind the CCNA I studied for, let alone an NP and I definitely don't want the 'paper cert' stigma (although it's probably unavoidable to some extent).

I guess I'm just frustrated that I feel like I'm 'standing still' and not developing professionally; not getting any experience to be able to move a step up to something like a junior admin type role or whatever the next step would be.

Any thoughts?
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    d0gmad0gma Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I feel like I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm a new college graduate and have been doing Help Desk Teir I support for about a year so far and before that a year of Teir II/II support as an I.T intern. Currently I'm studying for my CCNA and looking to find a new job in a NOC or some sort of Desktop Tech/II support job. Being in your position I would say continue striving for that CCNP, maybe ever try and get some sort of Linux admin cert as well if not before just to show a bit of versatility.

The biggest lesson I've learned and not quite sure how valid it is but, being an entry level guy, it takes creativity to get where you want. I you feel like you aren't getting any valuable experience then all you can really do is to keep on learning as much as possible, if necessary setup a home lab in which you can learn these technologies so you can reach a point where it becomes difficult for the network guys to blow you off when because by then you will have proven you definitely know what you talking about.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Give it time. Four months isn't enough for them to feel you out yet.I've been in a NOC for 2yrs now and until 10 months ago all I was allowed to do was show commands. New job changed all that. You just gotta do your time.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you read Network Warrior yet? That could help you to talk the talk -- and hopefully lead to the experience that will allow you to walk the walk.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try and find another job where you can work on the equipment.I've been lucky enough to always be thrown in the deep end in the jobs i've taken.I would never recommend a NOC job to anybody.All you need to know to work in a NOC is Red is bad, Green is good.
    Sorry NOC people but you know i'm right ha!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty frustrated. The only times I touch the IOS is to show interfaces to check errors or loop a T1 and run a bert test to look for errors.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm absolutely not saying "throw me in front of this device with multiple ds3's terminating on it and go off to lunch while I config or troubleshoot it", so much as either observing others doing that type of stuff, or doing it observed, you know?

I've started putting out feelers on some 'step up' jobs from here, but I'm running into the same situation I had before - I don't have any experience.

I've tried talking to 2 of the 3 "network" guys but am kindof blown off (I don't talk to the third cause he seems like the guy who just might snap your head off if he's in a mood).

Not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong or what - it's all new to me. I'm reading through the CCNP guides & labbing and whatnot on night-shift when it's not too busy, but I really feel I'm not gaining anything to put behind the CCNA I studied for, let alone an NP and I definitely don't want the 'paper cert' stigma (although it's probably unavoidable to some extent).

I guess I'm just frustrated that I feel like I'm 'standing still' and not developing professionally; not getting any experience to be able to move a step up to something like a junior admin type role or whatever the next step would be.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't wait another two years there. You are screwed in that NOC. We have a workforce involving a lot of people who are entrenched in the good roles with a long ways to go before retirement. They will not move and not welcoming to ambitious people. That is your situation. The job has taught you everything it will. Look for another one, ideally with a service provider where you get exposure to more real operations changes as opposed to alarm monitoring work. The experience you gained in this job is important. You need to demonstrate to a potential hirer that you understand the importance of the work that you did, and how issues are escalated and resolved in a controlled way. Critically you should demonstrate that you are now ready for more exposure and responsibility.

Good luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are getting something for the resume and hopefully a good reference in the future. Stick it out until you can find something more hands on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    I would never recommend a NOC job to anybody.All you need to know to work in a NOC is Red is bad, Green is good.
    Sorry NOC people but you know i'm right ha!

You've apparently not worked i the NOC's I've worked in then. Yes, red is bad. But my day in the NOC is spent turning up new locations and configuring routers and switches as well as whatever else needs to be configured from a network standpoint.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote: »
    You've apparently not worked i the NOC's I've worked in then. Yes, red is bad. But my day in the NOC is spent turning up new locations and configuring routers and switches as well as whatever else needs to be configured from a network standpoint.

Not all NOCs are created equal :) However the dumbing down will continue and many NOC jobs will be the end of ambition if you stay there too long. A compnay needs people in it's NOC. The question an individual has to ask themselves is 'when is it time to move on'. There are armies of people desparate to get their first NOC job. Once there it needs to morph into a better job either within the NOC or without if you want a rewarding career as a technologist.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are certainly on track with the technical skills, keep that up slow and steady.

Either -
    A) you are not in a envionment that is going to be able to help you
    B) your interpersonal skills need refinement (most of us do!)

Nothing you can do about A. So assume B.

It's all about marketing.

What interpersonal strats are you using? I found How to Win friends and influence people had a great plan. Implement each section, every week over a few months.

Plenty of other books you might want to read. Public speaking classes, Toastmasters and improv classes are all good moves.

Start taking coworkers to coffee, bring in doughnuts etc.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Start taking coworkers to coffee, bring in doughnuts etc.

I find going out for drinks and or a round of golf builds good friendships with co-workers :D
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I say study for your NP and hang on until you have a year in at your current position, then look for another job. Moving on with 4 - 6 months of experience makes you look bad. Maybe in that first years time things will change.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Have you read Network Warrior yet? That could help you to talk the talk -- and hopefully lead to the experience that will allow you to walk the walk.
    I have this book but I've been saving it until after I get my CCNA. I flipped through the pages quickly just to get the gist of what it was and let's just say I got that deer in headlights look. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses everybody.

I think I've really done my best in trying to get that 'mentorship' from the (few) "network" guys there. They're worked pretty hard, which you'd think would encourage them to offload some of the work to someone else; but at the same time I think they just don't have the time to stop for the training/mentoring:
    hang on, up to my ass in alligators right this scond.

Several other things working against me: 1) working night shift. 2) being the only person on night shift. The network people work days, and while they say "call me if something blows up", they really don't want to be woken up at 2am unless it's something big (like a ds3 dying... that was fun). Working from home, 2 hours away from the noc itself probably doesn't help, but since I'd be the only person there anyway, it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

I suppose I'll keep doing what I'm doing though - bugging them to show me something, ANYTHING, PLEASE!!!!, while working my way (slowly) through the ccnp track and semi-passively looking for something more technical.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno